Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mastitis and low milk supply

Default mastitis and low milk supply

I just got mastitis and I was wondering if it can decrease the supply in the infected breast. I normally would pump like 2-3 oz., but now I am getting less than an ounce. I am pumping every two hours using warm compresses and massaging my breasts. My breast is still tender but not overly hard. Could something be clogged?

Default Re: mastitis and low milk supply

When I had a mastitis, my milk went down in the infected breast. I took antibiotics for it. Within a week after I finished the antibiotics, my milk went back up. I'm not sure if this is common, but that was my experience.

Yup, it can decrease the milk supply in the affected breast. It should get back to normal once you're feeling better.

I had the same thing. I was getting 4 oz out of affected breast and when I had mastitis, and even for a few days after I got over it, I was only pumping about 2 oz. My milk supply did come back within a week though. Luckily I had plenty of BM stored up in the freezor to cover.

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I am not freaking out nearly as much as I was. I am however concerned that I am not emptying my breast. It feels kind of lumpy and tender in spots and this does not go away after I pump. I don't know what else to do. I am using warm compresses, massage, and pumping every 2.5 hours. Did you all have this too?

i had mastitis last sunday and i could not pump the milk out until i tried for every hr for ten hrs and it went on till the next day again. and this time for more than 12hrs. (even called the hospital nurse to my hse to help me massage so that i am able to pump the milk out)

went to see the doc and she prescribe me some antibiotics for 7 days.
    today is the last day of my medication. what worries me is that my milk production is very low. my breast doesnt feel full anymore(use to be able to feel my breast full after 3-4hrs). and able to nurse on 1 side and pump out the other and may get 2-3oz. now it is not possible coz dd will need to nurse both sides and still feel hungry. my nite feeds are every hr now for the past 6nites and it is killing me.

i would very much want to cont . pls help.

I hear you. I am still struggling with lumps in that breast and I have been on antibiotics for 7 days too. My LC told me that it is normal for your supply to decrease in the affected breast, and she said that if it didn't come back to check with my doctor about getting an Rx Reglan. I am beginning to wonder if I have a breast abscess or something. I can't get the lumps out!!

Hi there,

try this method coz i manage to get the milk out only now i suffer from low supply.

here is what i did...

1-use a hanky, put hot water and put on ur breast for a couple of times,
    2-then try to double pump for about 10mins. if u have a let down, massage the lump and the milk will slowly flow out. once the milk stop flowing, repeat step 1 again till u do not feel the lump again.

fyi, i did press quite hard and breast was painful for 3days.