Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need a little help and alot of encouragement!!

Default I need a little help and alot of encouragement!!

Here's my story.....

I am a first time mom of a beautiful little girl born 8/09/06. Things had been going wonderful until about 2 months. She was 8-1 at birth and at 2 months and a week she weighed 10-12. I thought breast feeding was going well she had maybe 5 bottles up until that time. Then I started noticing urine changes (becoming more concentrated and less wet diapers). She also started becoming very fussy nursing for a few minutes then off the breast, crying, back on the breast...I then would give her a pacifier and she would calm down. So not hungry I would think. I wasn't keeping track of how often I was feeding or wet diapers. This little girl has always been a calm and happy baby. But I was becoming worried. Then a friend of mine was over and after 3 1/2 hours baby only nursed 7-10 minutes. My friend was somewhat concerned also since she has two children that were breasfed. The next day I took her to the doctor and she had lost 5 ounces. So at 3 months she now weighed 10-7. So now...

I started supplemental feedings with a SNS from medella. I am pumping every time after nursing with a medella pump in style and maybe getting aprox 1/2 ounce. I am doing everything every 2 hours during the day and I let her sleep when she wants during the night and I pump every 3 hours. Also during the night I do not seem to need to use the SNS she falls alseep without it. Do I need to push it at night? She is now getting enought to eat (she gained the 5 ounces she lost back in a week and having lots of wet diapers and a BM at least once a day) so now we are just working on milk supply. I also am taking fenugreek, blessed thistle and drinking mothers milk tea three times a day. I increased my caloric intake. I probably wasn't eating as much as I should have been during the day. I have a prescription for Reglan but am nervous to take it d/t the side effects. Does anyone have experience with that?

Thats about it. I am really discouraged I feel chained to my house, feel like I am not as close with my daughter all we do is eat, and pump, eat and pump! As soon as we are done with our eating regimen we have approximately 45 min befor it starts again. All I want to do is give her a bottle and be done with it. I know this breastfeeding is the best for her but I think a sane mom would be good too!! So I just need a little encouragement, advice and some success stories to keep me going. Also from looking I need a different pump but I live in a small community with limited resources will a pump in style do the job?

That is it please let me know what to do.

Default Re: I need a little help and alot of encouragement!!

Have you talked to your doctor about the side effects of Reglan? Have you discussed alternatives?

You asked about a PIS for increasing supply. The PIS is usually recommended for maintaining supply. If at all possible, it would be best to use a rental hospital grade pump. These pumps have powerful suction and rapid cycles, and they are made to keep up with constant use. If not, then perhaps use the PIS, and if you feel you have not "emptied" (the breast is never truly empty, but you know what I mean) your breasts, you could follow up with a quick round of hand expression!

Just keep nursing, nursing, nursing! You'll get there.

Have you contacted your local LLL Leader or IBCLC for support?

Eating oatmeal can be a great help. Lots of water. Maybe not giving the pacifier, but letting baby use you as the pacifier That's always a nice help.
    Hang in there! Breastfeeding is such a lovely way to spend time with baby.

How funny that I am going through the same thing. But mine's due to the fact that I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted last Monday, so I didn't bf but pumped and dumped that day because I was taking Codeine, started to BF again the next day but had 0 appetite and wasn't drinking well, today I am sick with a cold with 0 appetite again and still not drinking well because my mouth still hurts. I try to down a liter of water every couple of hours yet my supply is still low. I pump and get 15cc from each breast. She nurses still but after 10 minutes of nursing she's "pissed" because she's not getting enough. So I'm really hoping that by tomorrow my supply increases as I have been pumping all day and drinking tons of water but my diet is still horrible. I know pumping and nursing is the idea, so let's keep doing it. Just when I thought I had it down, my supply well established and everything, it bites me in the buttocks.