Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Neosporin or Lanolin?

Default Neosporin or Lanolin?

Well we (Mia and I) haven't been on in a few days because we are working through a biting issue, causing me to watch her every move while nursing. She is biting then pulling off quick enough that I can't get her off before the damage is done. Needless to say, I have some open sores. I think Neosporin may help best, but how do I get that all off before she nurses? I have just been squeezing milk over the sores. And how clean as in what can I clean them with and how often so they don't get infected? Hopefully the biting issue is behind us for awhile.

Default Re: Neosporin or Lanolin?

Does anyone know. Did Neosporin or Lanolin help heal bite wounds for you? Neosporin is safe if I wipe it off, right? Do I have to soap it off or just wipe with a wet cloth? She bit again today!

hi there.
    i personally didn't use neosporin or lanolin when i had tears on my nipples (from pumping). i also had thrush at the time, so i was using the all purpose nipple ointment (APNO)...which the lactation consultant said to use on the tears, too, since it's an antibiotic/anti-inflammatory/anti-yeast combo. and you don't have to wipe the nipple ointment off before nursing.

as for neosporin, this link states the following:
    It is not necessary to wash small amounts of antibiotic or APNO ointment from the nipple prior to nursing, even if baby nurses again within minutes (see Dr. Jack Newman's Sore Nipples handout). If too much ointment was used and there is an obvious amount remaining when baby is ready to nurse again, gently wipe the excess off with a damp cloth.

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

My lactation consultant recommended getting your DR to prescribe "Jack Newman's Nipple cream" which is soothing like lanolin and contains some antibiotics, antifungal, antibacterial stuff. It's safe for the baby and the doctor that invented it is a pediatrician. (I'm sure it wouldn't be considered good for them to like EAT in large quantities but for the amt you would put on your nipples it is safe.)

I found that it really helped me when I was sore, cracked and bleeding.