Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solely Pumping???

Default Solely Pumping???

Hello everyone, I'm new to the group. I'm 32 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. My other 2 children were completely formula fed. I want to breastfeed this baby. However, I do not want to put my baby on my breast. I'd like her father and siblings to enjoy feeding her since this is our last baby. I would like to only pump the milk and bottle feed my baby. Is this something that is common or even possible? I'm taking a breastfeeding class on the 2nd of February where I'll ask all my questions, but I'd just like to get some insight. Thanks!

Default Re: Solely Pumping???

It is possible. It is a commitment, you would need to pump round he clock everytime baby feeds, to kee your supply up to meet babys needs. Also, You will need to pump for at least 20 minutes each session, sometimes longer.

Have you considered nursing and pumping enough for a few extra bottles for those to feed baby with?

if you are determined to be an EPer (exclusive pumper) you can make it work, its just going to be extra work for you, and if yu want to supply baby with only mommas milk, then you have to be committed to pumping EVERY TIME baby feeds, and not thinging of breastmilk like formula. Babies need only a small amount of breastmilk every few hours, so you dont have to be scared if you only pump 1/2 oz in the beginning, that is enough for a bottle, and you will pump the next feeding when baby drinks that bottle.

Hope that helps!

Oh, I was an EPer for my DS who was born with a cleft lip and palate. I found, for ME, that a hospital grade pump was the best way to get all the milk out, howerver each person is different. Some love other pumps, it is all about what works for you!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Default Re: Solely Pumping???

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on upcoming baby #3!

What you want to do- exclusive pumping (EP)- is definitely possible and lots of women do it, often by necessity (like the PP) and more rarely by choice. The reason most women avoid EP unless they are forced into it is that EP has some drawbacks that breastfeeding straight from the tap doesn't, and you should know what they are before you embark on the path you're considering. They are, in no particular order:
    - Difficulty in maintaining/increasing milk supply. Pumps don't stimulate milk supply as well as a nursing baby does, so many EP moms ultimately struggle to produce enough milk for their babies' needs. If an EP mom finds her supply has dropped below her baby's needs, she needs to either increase her pump frequency or be okay with supplementing with formula.
    - Time management. Pumping is generally time-consuming. You're looking at pumping 10-12 times per day in the early days/weeks, for around 20 minutes per session. As time goes on, you can probably drop down to pumping around 8 times a day- and a few moms can get away with pumping less!- but you may need to increase your pumping frequency from time to time in order to bring supply up. And of course, while you're doing all this pumping you're also going to be providing care for your baby and your older kids!
    - Nursing in public is generally very easy, but pumping in public can be tough. You need a place that is warm, clean, and has a power supply, and that place is not always available.

I really don't mean for that enumeration of potential drawbacks to be discouraging, because I think what you want to do is doable. I just don't want you to get into it and then feel like no-one warned you of possible complications.

Have you considered combining nursing and bottlefeeding? For a lot of moms, that option provides the best of both worlds. For example, you can nurse the baby for part or most of the day and then hand her over to dad or older sibs for a bottle while you jump in the bath or run out to the store or whatever. You formula-fed your older kids so I am sure bottle-feeding feels really comfortable and second nature to you- but nursing might be something you'd enjoy if you tried it. And we're happy to answer any questions you have about what it can be like. No pressure, of course!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"