Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about weaning and co sleeping

Default Re: Questions about weaning and co sleeping

You have definitely made me feel more confident about being able to feed her . I think you might have a good point about Christmas - we saw both our families and some days there were up to 25 people around her - which is quite a change from most days where it's just the two of us! Most of the relatives that are really negative about her feeding are people who didn't breast feed their own children. My sister stopped really early with hers after getting mastitis and none of DH's massive family breast fed at all. For the first few weeks every time we saw DH's family they would say "once you get her on the bottle it will be a lot easier". They have stopped saying that now - I think they gave up

Also with the co sleeping! This morning LO woke up earlier than normal, about 6.30am, and wouldn't go back to sleep. I think she was cold, her little fingers were like icicles! So I put her mattress under my side of the bed and we had a three man spoon with daddy

When she woke up at 9am all toasty after DH had gone off to work she looked very happy to be waking up next to mummy

Thanks for giving me the confidence that I would not crush her . I went in the middle as was suggested and everything was fine!

So glad to hear that you're feeling more confident!

I think that even people who have absolutely no interest in breastfeeding their babies have gotten the message that "breast is best." So when they needle you about the baby getting enough and how hard breastfeeding is and how bottles will make your life easier... I think that they're kind of hoping that you'll make the same feeding choices that they did. If you "fail" at breastfeeding, then they don't have to feel bad about their own "failure."

You might want to review this article about safe co-sleeping: http://www.phdinparenting.com/2009/0...eeping-safety/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Also being attached to your breast MORE than usual isn't about no longer being satisfied. It's usually about a growth spurt. The only way a growing baby can send the signal to your body to make more milk IS to send MORE signals for LONGER. Once the supply catches up to the demand than it usually returns to normal.

Way too lazy for formula

The other day I was reading about a study in which they carefully tracked calories and found that the biggest babies consistently consumed the fewest calories. They think it is probably something about metabolism. So it turns out that people, if they're going to be concerned at all, should be concerned about our ability to keep up with the appetite of small babies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lehall View Post
    The other day I was reading about a study in which they carefully tracked calories and found that the biggest babies consistently consumed the fewest calories. They think it is probably something about metabolism. So it turns out that people, if they're going to be concerned at all, should be concerned about our ability to keep up with the appetite of small babies
    I believe that. I had one baby that was small and one that was big. The small one was a grazer (still is at age 6) and would nurse all.the.time. and all night long. The big one ate much less frequently, but they were almost always long-ish sessions and then he'd sleep for hours! It was great.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We're taking a family vacation this year instead of doing christmas with the family this year bc dh and I are fed up with the ignorant comments. We honestly were told he (6 mo at the time) should be checked for autism bc he was afraid of strangers and crowds. He wanted the comfort of his mama only. Three months later he was constantly asking strangers in stores to pick him up (always pleasant looking older ladies, lol). He's also a bigger boy (off the height charts) but still nurses 6-10 a day at 19 mo. Keep coming here for support!

Family always has an excuse. They are to big to BF they are to little BM isn't enough!!
    Your doing great! Growth spurts (the constant nursing) is needed to adjust your milk composition to meet growing babies needs.
    Theres load of data out there that promotes delaying anything but breastmilk until after 6months of age. Babyled solids and weaning works well for us.
    Co-sleeping is something that works for our current family and arrangment. If you guys don't and its working no need to change anything.

Finally found the link again I had meant to include in my post
    http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/
    I really liked the very detailed info provided on this website, very helpful!