Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not eating or drinking-help!

Default Not eating or drinking-help!

Hi..I'm new here. My son is 13months actual, 12 adjusted and is not eating much in terms of solids or drinking milk from a bottle or sippy. I'm getting nervous that he's not getting the nutrition he needs. I work FT, and pump once during the day. I was off of work for most of November during which time I EBF. Since I've been back he refuses to drink anything for the sitter. He will maybe take a few sips of water from a sippy but no milk. The pedi insisted that he needs cow's milk for the fat content. He was a preemie so he's always been little-currently 23% for weight and 65% for height.
    He nurse's quite a bit throughout the night. He resists most solids and even hates to be in his high chair. I 've tried a number of different baby foods and table food, most of which he might try but won't eat much of. He is really happy and his dirty diaper output hasn't changed-he does tend to get constipated. So my questions-Should I be concerned? Are solids and cow's milk really THAT improtant at this stage? Could he in fact be getting everything he needs from bm? Thank you!

Default Re: Not eating or drinking-help!

Welcome!

At this point, as long as you are nursing at least 3-5 times a day, your LO will get his daily requirements met at the breast, without you needing to feed him additional diary (animal milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.). Obviously, more nursing is better, so if you're nursing at the higher end of the frequency spectrum, Yahtzee!

At this stage, solids are becoming an increasingly important part of your baby's diet. But babies are able to get all their nutritional needs met by breastmilk (or formula) alone until around the first birthday, after which the transition to a majority solids diet is slow, with many babies remaining predominantly but not exclusively reliant on breastmilk until sometime in their second year. My kids, for example, barely touched solids until around 14-15 months.

If your pediatrician pressures you, you can fall back on "we're working on it and he's getting more interested in solids every day." It's a little white lie that will keep the pediatrician off your back.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! That makes me feel much better. I realized last night that part of the issue with solids seems to be his reaction to eating at the table with us. He does fine eating until we sit down with our food and then he stops and will only eat off of my plate. This is fine except he will only have a few bites. I think he might be getting distracted or overstimulated. Thanks again!

Sounds like my first DD. She hated the high chair, especially when her dad and I were sitting at the table in our big people chairs. The only way we could have our dinners was to have her sit on someone's lap- and by someone's lap, I mean my husband's, because I hated having her little hands grubbing around in my plate!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"