Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling for work while nursing a toddler

Default Traveling for work while nursing a toddler

Hi! It's been a while!

I'm going to have to travel for work around the middle of March. I'm not really interested in weaning my toddler who will be 18 months old at that point, but I hate to lug my big double pump along too. I thought about getting a manual pump for travel but wouldn't that take forever to use?

My supply is already pretty low. We're nursing morning and night, and I pump once during the day and get 2oz at most. So it wouldn't be hard physically to wean, but I feel like that's not a good reason to say we're done.

Any advice or tips?
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

Default Re: Traveling for work while nursing a toddler

I hate to say it, but if you're going to be gone for days at a time I'd probably take the double pump. It's faster and would be much better for maintaining your supply while you're away from baby.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'd be less worried about maintaining your supply than having trouble with engorgement and/or plugged ducts etc. I had a couple bad experiences at ~15 months even WITH my double pump being away for a few days, because I tried to cut corners. I really depends on how much milk you're still producing, but if you're still nursing frequently, I'd play it safe. If you cut the double pump down to just the bare essentials, it's not that big.

Oh wait. You meant nursing twice a day, plus pumping once? That's not so much. You might want to get the hand pump ahead of time and try it out to see how you do with it.

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and pack the dumb thing. I'll probably be pump weaned (during the day) by then so hopefully I'll just have to pump morning and night, when I'd be nursing.

I have this unreasonable fear of airlines losing my luggage, so I usually try to pack everything into a carryon bag. I'm not sure whether that will work this time because of the pump. If I do have to check a bag, are there any concerns about checking the pump? I'm already aware of the faceplate on the PISA that can become unseated.

Now to figure out how to get the milk home . . .
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

If you're going to be pump weaned by then and only nursing twice a day, then I think you could actually probably get away with the manual pump.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

How long are you going to be gone?

We'll leave Tuesday during the day and come back late on Friday evening. So about 3 1/2 days.
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

Not night nursing at all?

I would play it safe and bring the double pump, as others have suggested. I went away for 2 nights when DD was 15 months and pumped at night before bed and by morning I needed to pump again. I was shocked at how much milk was there even though I felt I had no supply. I ended up just dumping the milk because I really didn't want to hassle with transporting it back.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Good point, he does nurse at night but only a couple of times per week.
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)