Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help please re BF and breast augmentation

Default Re: Need help please re BF and breast augmentation

Engorged is that feeling of your breasts being super-full, hard, lumpy...

The fact that you feel better after your baby nurses suggests that he's getting the milk out, even with the shield and augmentation.

Were your nipples completely severed and reattached, or only lifted up in order to place the implants? It's the former type of surgery that tends to be most problematic for breastfeeding.

You wrote that you are worried about brain damage- I assume you're worried about jaundice? Is your baby jaundiced at this point, and if so, is he a sleepy nurser or is he nursing at least 10-12 times a day?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you and sorry I wasn't able to log in to answer until now. No nipple were not completely severed. Yes DS had jaundice 10.3 when w left the hospital and 11.3 when we returned for the 2 day recheck. He doesn't look that yellow to my mom though, but of course I am worried. I am now trying to feed him every 2 hours, but he is very hard to rouse. I am hoping this is normal. He s probably nursing at least 8 times a day tho.

A lot of newborns are sleepy for a while, especially when there's some jaundice. Trying to get him to nurse every 2 hours is a good plan.

You might find some helpful info at the BFAR website—bfar.org. They have a page about nursing after breast augmentation:

Breastfeeding After Breast Augmentation (Implant) Surgery
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Keep him in a sunny window if possible in your area. The UV light will help break down the bilirubin.

Because you're post-augmentation and because baby is a little sleepy/jaundiced and because his bili level climbed a bit... I think I'd consider taking him in to the pediatrician in a couple of days, just to check on the jaundice situation. Not saying that anything is wrong- just that it might be a good idea to check! I know I never feel bad when I take my kids in to the doc unnecessarily, even though it's a waste of a co-pay. But I do feel bad when I realize that I should have taken them in, and didn't.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"