Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help please re BF and breast augmentation

Default Need help please re BF and breast augmentation

Hi and thanks for any help you can provide. I had breast augmentation surgery through the nipple 6 years ago. My baby is starting his eighth day and I am breastfeeding but have concerns. I am not sure if my baby is getting enough milk. I have been using a nipple shield because he would not latch properly. He did lose 9 percent of his weight upon leaving the hospital after 2 1/2 days. Does anyone have any good news regarding breastfeeding and breast augmentation surgery?

Default Re: Need help please re BF and breast augmentation

Regardless of your history, if your baby is having 5-6 wet diapers a day he is getting plenty of milk. Losing up to 10% of birth weight is perfectly normal and to be expected. Can you tell us how you feel nursing is going (aside from your concerns about him getting enough)? How often does he eat? For how long? Have you been supplementing at all or just nursing?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

He nurses about every 2 1/2 to 3 hours and feeds for about ten to fifteen mins on each breast, but varies between sucking and sleeping quite a bit. Not giving supplements now but have done syringe feeding with breast milk once per day. The supplement is less than an ounce.

How many wet diapers are you getting per day (as in one 24 hour period)? Are you nursing when baby acts hungry or is that 2 1/2-3 hour schedule what the nurses suggested? Were you pumping for the supplement and if so how much were you pumping at one sitting?

To me that seems like rather infrequent nursing for an 8 day old. Most of the time, at this point, babies are nursing almost constantly to try to build up mom's supply and because their little tummies are so small, the breastmilk digests fast (on average it takes about 90 minutes to digest). BUT it could be fine, too. If baby is getting enough in that 20-30 minutes of nursing, then he may just be an efficient nurser. The wet diaper count should tell you a lot. If you haven't been counting, start now. Set 5 diapers out in your usual changing place and if you haven't used them all by tomorrow at this time, you'll know that you may need to try to encourage more feedings.

The sleepy nursing is totally normal and doesn't indicate anything wrong. It just may take a bit more work on your part to get him to continue feeding. Tickling his feet, blowing gently across his face, burping and switching sides, changing a diaper mid-feeding are all things you can do to encourage a sleepy eater. Here's a great article with more suggestions/info on dealing with a sleepy nurser.

If it turns out you are having supply problems, then it could be the augmentation that is contributing and we can help you figure out how to deal with that. But I think it would be wise to first establish whether there is an issue. Many many moms of newborns have the concern of whether baby is getting enough with nursing and most of the time it turns out there is no problem, just a crisis of confidence.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you so much for your help. There were 6 wet and 3 poopy diapers the last 24 hours. My mom is here and we are counting. How can I know if he is efficient ? If he,s not getting enough he would just continue to cry right? I would know if he were starving right? I read that seven out of eight with this surgery can't breastfeeding and that is scaring me. I don't know if I wil KNOW when to give up and use a bottle. I don! Want to cause brain damage, which is another thing ihaveread can happen. Yikes I sometimes HATE the Internet !!!!

P.s. been waking baby to eat and pumping a bit after feeding. Getting an ounce or less.

Aw! Stop googling!

You will know if he's not getting enough milk if his diaper output drops down below 5/day. If it's going in, it's coming out. And if it's coming out, it must be going in.

It sounds like you are doing just fine! I'm not sure of the specifics of your surgery, but I would think that if you weren't going to be able to nurse, you would already be having problems and it sounds like you have a sufficient supply so far. Just keep an eye on diapers and nurse any time he acts hungry- which at this stage pretty much means any time he starts rooting for your breast or tries to stick his fist in his mouth and for sure if he starts to fuss. You can't feed him too much at this point and if you have concerns about being able to keep up your supply, the best way to combat that is to nurse frequently.

Here's another really great article about what to expect the first few weeks. I think some of it might help settle your mind and give you some concrete things to look for. That whole website (kellymom.com) is full of great information for nursing moms. It's very balanced, no scare tactics, and the info is backed up by references so you can trust what you read there. There's also a site I think called bfar.org that is specifically for women who've had breast surgeries. They have lots of info and forums as well so if you need info specific to your surgery you might look there.
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*callen3x View Post
    P.s. been waking baby to eat and pumping a bit after feeding. Getting an ounce or less.
    That is a great output for pumping after you nurse. At this age, many moms get less than half an ounce after nursing and only 1-2 ounces when pumping instead of feeding. I might actually back off on pumping for now to avoid creating an oversupply issue. If you can let your body regulate itself it's best.

Are you still using the shield? If so, is it the kind where you can see milk accumulate in it as baby nurses? Are you seeing milk?

Do you feel engorged at all? Are you leaking?
    --Anonymous

Thank you so much! I'm feeling a bit better now

Yes still using the shield..he will not latch without it! I can see milk in the bottom of the shield when he stops. I was leaking on the opposite side he was feeding on, but that stopped a day or so ago. Breasts feel lumpy and better after feeding. I don't know what encouraged feel s like??
    Last edited by @llli*callen3x; January 21st, 2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Engorged not encouraged.