Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 month old not nursing enough

Default 7 month old not nursing enough

Hi! I read the thread below, but have some additional questions.....

My daughter is 7 months old. She has become an extremely fussy nurser and mostly only nurses really good at night (1-2x), in the morning or if she has gone about 5 hours without eating. I have started wearing a necklace for her to play with - which helps a little, but not a whole lot.

She might eat for just a minute and the get distracted and arch her back to get away from me. But, she continues to suck on her fingers like she is hungry. Most times she only nurses for 5-7 minutes.

How do I know if she is getting enough milk? She has wet & dirty diapers, but I'm concerned and think she might take more if from a bottle. I want to contunue nursing, but am most conerned that she is geting enough milk.

Default Re: 7 month old not nursing enough

hi there..do you think you may have a forceful letdown? I did with my son and had to pump for a couple minutes before latching him on.
    You could always call your local LLL and see what they say or a lactation consultant..you can bring her to get weighed , too

I know exactly what you are talking about. DD is the same way and she is 8 months old. It took me awhile to relax and to trust that she was getting what she needed. I don't think that 5 hours is a long time to go inbetween feedings for DC that age. I have found that DD is VERY busy during the day and sometimes she doesn't want to stop to eat. At this age, I think that they become very efficient when they eat also, so you may think that she isn't getting enough, but she really is. It is hard to stop looking at the clock, but doing so made my life much easier. She is probably sucking on her fingers because she is teething. My DD only nursed for 5 minutes from the beginning.

As you said, she has enough wet and dirty diapers and if she is still gaining weight, try not to worry. My LC has told me over and over, that my DD is a big girl now and she knows what she wants!

Hang in there! I know how you feel and how frustrating it is. You are doing a great job! I am sure that your DD is getting plenty of milk!

Have you tried nursing in a dark room or when she is sleepy?

When she is sleepy she nurses great!

She IS very busy during the day learning how to crawl so maybe she doens't want to stop to eat

I guess I will ust trust that she is getting enough. She is gaining properly and that is what counts.

Thanks for the reassurance!