Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding uncomfortable before period

Default Breastfeeding uncomfortable before period

Does anyone else find bf'ing uncomfortable (and almost annoying) a few days before their period starts?

My 14 month old son nurses 4x a day, and usually it is such a sweet time for both of us. But I'm pre-menstrual, and I've have found the past few days when he latches it hurts and is just unpleasant.

I read somewhere that supply maybe decreases during this time? Maybe he's nursing more vigorously b/c he's getting less?

Default Re: Breastfeeding uncomfortable before period

Absolutely. Sometimes I want to jump right out of my skin.

Your supply can dip a bit in the couple of days before your period starts. The discomfort is probably due to the normal nipple sensitivity before your period starts, but could be aggrivated by more aggressive nursing, too. Just remember that in a couple of days everything will return back to normal (until just before your period starts next month).
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*BakerSmurf View Post
    Absolutely. Sometimes I want to jump right out of my skin.

Your supply can dip a bit in the couple of days before your period starts. The discomfort is probably due to the normal nipple sensitivity before your period starts, but could be aggrivated by more aggressive nursing, too. Just remember that in a couple of days everything will return back to normal (until just before your period starts next month).
    Yep. Me too. It's really hard sometimes.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I totally do! Although in my case it happens more during ovulation than immediately before my period. It IS annoying.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irismom View Post
    I totally do! Although in my case it happens more during ovulation than immediately before my period. It IS annoying.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Every month, I have to remind myself that it's only a few days, and that I NORMALLY cherish my nursing relationship. But for those few days, I'm like, "Why haven't I weaned yet?" Doesn't help that I get really ornery when I have PMS. I'm also usually like, "Why did I marry this insensitive jerk?" Poor DH!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks, ladies. I need to remember it's just for a few more days!

I'm totally PMS-y, too, which doesn't help. As a matter of fact, my menstruation symptoms (cramps, irritability, bloating, etc.) are way worse now than before I had my son. I guess my hormones have changed or something

Sigh ... hopefully all will be normal in a few days (until next month!).

I want to rip somebodies head of and dd is weaned....

hang in there!

I'm glad I found this. I am pretty sure I have PMS and this is exactly how I feel.. and did during when I suspect I was ovulating too.. I only just got AF back in January and I've only had two. But yeah.. here I am at 5 AM, AWAKE, because my son tried to nurse while we were sleeping. It annoyed me, woke me up and I literally stopped him because it was so annoying. I wanted to push him away and I've been laying here since thinking about weaning him. I am hoping it's just AF, because I really do normally like nursing.. but definitely not right now! If this continues I'm afraid I'm going to wean him...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irismom View Post
    same for me! It is during ovulation that it hurts to nurse, and around my period its fine!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK