Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The flu :(

Default The flu :(

Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me. I was recently sick with flu-like symptoms this weekend. I had a fever, headache, vomiting, the chills, and a sore throat. It only lasted for the weekend and was better by Monday. I noticed in the past few days that my supply is much lower than normal and I am hoping that it's just because I was sick. Does anyone know when my "normal" supply will return? I nursed my 2 month old as I always do to help keep up my supply, and have been trying to stay hydrated, but is there anything else that I should be doing? Thanks for listening!

Default Re: The flu :(

I hope you feel better soon. I have been sick a few times this winter (once with pneumonia, it was horrible) and noticed a decrease in my supply as well. I think you just need to stay hydrated and rest as much as possible, as much as you can with your baby next to you in bed and just nurse as much as you can. If your supply is low, your baby will nurse more frequently to compensate, and that will bring your supply back up.

Thanks so much! That's what I've been doing, so I hope I notice an increase soon!

One thing to keep in mind is that there's a normal adjustment to supply that takes place, in which supply declines from overabundant to just right for baby's needs, and that this adjustment can take place fairly rapidly when a mom is sick. Often new moms think that they have to feel engorged or "full" in order to be making enough milk, and they freak out when they suddenly feel soft, flat, or empty almost all the time. But being full or engorged is something that you are likely to experience only during the newborn stage, and by the time you've been nursing for a few months, and supply is well-matched to baby's needs, you're likely to feel engorged/full only when baby skips a few feedings in a row(like if she suddenly sleeps all the way through the night). So don't be too surprised if you never see supply return to quite the level it was at before you got sick. As long as you nurse on demand, you'll make plenty.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

After researching a bit more, I am starting to think that I have a plugged duct or mastitis. I have looked at a few websites and forums, and it sounds like I need to keep pumping and nursing and that should bring my supply back in a short time. Is there anything else that I can do to bring my supply back to normal or anything else in the mean time? Thank you again for all of your help...it is much appreciated!

Nurse, pump, and nurse some more. And if you feel like the infection is getting worse, see the doctor for some antibiotics. But be cautious- many docs don't realize a) that you should not discontinue breastfeeding during mastitis and b) that there are antibiotics which are safe during nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I don't really feel like my infection is getting worse but I don't know if it's getting better either.

I have been nursing first on the left side, pumping or breastfeeding every 2 hours, massaging the
    > left side while I pump, massaging the left side in the shower in hopes
    > to unplug the duct, and taking in plenty of fluids. None of this has
    > seemed to work and at this point, I don't even know if it's a plugged
    > duct anymore!
    >
    > I'm a first time mom, so all of this is new to me. I'm not sure what I
    > should do next and I'm very nervous that my supply is dipping
    > permanently. I've read that since my daughter is 8 weeks, my supply is
    > starting to steady itself, but if I have continued to pump and nurse on
    > the same schedule, shouldn't I continue to put out the same amount
    > because of supply and demand? I feel like I have read so many forums
    > and websites that my head is starting to spin with the list of things
    > to do and all the possibilities of problems I could be having!
    >
    > Do you have any idea of what the problem could be or when my supply
    > will go back to normal?

I started seeing my supply majorly dip on Sunday and it's already Thursday. I feel like I am so emotionally and physically invested in this and it makes me want to cry to think that I might not be able to breastfeed anymore.

First of all, DON'T PANIC. Mastitis does not mean that you won't be able to breastfeed any longer. It does not irrevocably destroy supply. And as long as your child is continuing to have enough wet and poopy diapers and is being fed on demand, there is no reason to think that things aren't going right on the most basic level. Okay?

Let's review your symptoms. Exactly what are you experiencing at this point, how do you feel, and what is making you think your supply isn't what it was or what it should be?

Whew, ok, I'll try not to panic. She's fine with the wet and poopy diapers, so there's no concern there! I'm also feeding her on demand, so I guess I have that going for me too.

At this point, I am experiencing sharp pains on the left side and when I begin to feed her and sometimes throughout the feeding, I experience nipple pain. I don't think my supply is what is what it used to be because she is eating every 1.5 hours instead of every 3 hours and she is sometimes fussy at the breast. I know pumping isn't the best indicator to go by, but I am pumping considerably less now than I was a week ago. If it was slightly less than normal, I don't think I would panic, however, now I am only able to pump about 1 oz. each time instead of about 4-5 oz. each time. When I do pump, practically nothing comes out of the left side and the right side is done producing milk in about 5 minutes. If I wasn't returning to work, I would be find with feeding on demand and pumping what I could just to have on hand to be on the safe side.

Thanks for being so patient with me

Thanks for sharing the particulars!

I don't know if what you describe is screaming "mastitis" at me. You don't seem to be feeling a plugged duct, you don't mention red patches or streaks on the skin of the breast, and the fever/chills are in the past- correct? If this was mastitis, you'd probably be experiencing some or all of those, plus localized tenderness/pain in the breast. The type of pain you describe, that happens at the beginning of the feeding and may continue throughout the feeding, sounds more like a latch issue. Some questions for you:
    -Is the pain new, or has this pain been present since you started nursing?
    -When baby unlatches, is your nipple symmetrical, like a pencil eraser, or asymmetrical/wedged/creased/shaped like a new lipstick?
    -Have you or the baby had any of the following: a recent course of antibiotics, a vaginal yeast infection, thrush, or a yeast rash in the diaper area?
    -Do you notice any of the following in the nipple/areola: skin appearing more red/pink/shiny than usual? Dry, flaking or cracking skin?
    -Pain: more of a pinching or stabbing pain (like if you grabbed the nipple and pinched it really hard), more of a burning pain, or more of a tingling sensation?

The feeding frequency you describe is normal, and not an indication of low supply. New babies usually feed about 10-12 times a day, or even more frequently, which often means nursing every 1-2 hours. Babies who routinely go 3 hours between feedings are unusual, because a) infant tummies are tiny, b) breastmilk digests fast (often in just 90 minutes or so), and c) because babies seek the breast for all sorts of reasons in addition to hunger. They nurse because they are hungry, because they are thirsty, because they are tired, waking up, cranky, lonely, bored, scared- in short, nursing is the baby's response to pretty much everything he experiences.

Are you pumping after feedings, or instead of feeding? 1 oz is an entirely normal amount to pump after a feeding. 4-5 oz is excessive, and indicates some degree of oversupply- and this is regardless of whether you pump after feeding or instead of feeding! When you're back at work, and pumping instead of nursing, you'll probably notice increased output.