Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mastitis and No Milk, FTM...help!

Default Re: Mastitis and No Milk, FTM...help!

Will baby nurse on the small side? Offering it first at every feeding may help, since babies suck most enthusiastically and empty the breast more completely when they are hungry.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Will baby nurse on the small side? Offering it first at every feeding may help, since babies suck most enthusiastically and empty the breast more completely when they are hungry.
    I always offer it first, but he gets verrrry frustrated. He will nurse on it for about 2 minutes and then fuss too much I have to switch him. I will continue trying though!

Unfortunately, my other breast is overcompensating and is very large and uncomfortable most of the time.
    This concerns me. Not that your other breast is overcompensating, that makes sense. But feeling uncomfortable most of the time? I am afraid you are headed to another bout with mastitis.

Is there any way you can see an IBCLC?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    This concerns me. Not that your other breast is overcompensating, that makes sense. But feeling uncomfortable most of the time? I am afraid you are headed to another bout with mastitis.

Is there any way you can see an IBCLC?
    I agree, I'm going to make an appointment today. Thanks for the response!

Just wanted to update for any other Mom's that may be dealing with this. I went to acertified LC and it turns out I have damaged the lymph node in my right breast. I guess the trauma is causing the depletion in my supply. It is SLOWLY coming back but I'm working 24/7 nursing/pumping it since I go back to work on Monday. I don't have a supply built up for work yet which is stressing me out, but I think I have enough to get through day 1 and will pump for the next day during day 1. The LC also told me there is no shame in supplementing if I cannot produce enough, my worst nightmare. My family is putting a lot of pressure on me to EBF, so I'm doing my best. Anyway, I hope any other ladies dealing with this don't let the frustration get the best of them.. it'll be okay!

Thank you for the update. Was the damage from the mastitis? A plug? engorgement? Or do you not know?

My family is putting a lot of pressure on me to EBF, so I'm doing my best.
    Well, that is an interesting problem to have, most mothers have the opposite. But being second guessed is never fun as a mom. Let your family know you need their support, not judgement. If your baby needs supplements, your baby needs supplements! If you cannot pump enough to feed baby while you are at work, What other choice do you have? But don't assume you cannot. Try to take it one day at a time, the last thing you need right now with the return to work and all is more stress.

maybe your family could pitch in to help support you financially for a couple of weeks so you don't have to go back to work while you are dealing with this? I am actually serious.