Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old won't take bottle or sippy!

Default 9 month old won't take bottle or sippy!

ok, this is really not an urgent question at all, and as a matter of fact i feel badly posting it after reading some of the threads where baby won't take breast and ONLY takes bottle...
    we tried to get juniper to drink from a sippy a few weeks ago when she had the flu, doc wanted her to try H20 when she did solids. she cried and shouted in frustration. then last week my mother in law tried a bottle while she was watching her for me. juniper gnawed and nibbled the nipple, and could not figure out that milk is in there. she thought it was a toy!
    how in the world are breastfed babies supposed to figure this all out? i'd like for her to at least know how, just in case something happened to me. i have a 2 month supply of milk in the deep freezer i was planning on giving her. what the heck do i do with all of that if she won't drink it from a bottle or sippy?!?!

Default Re: 9 month old won't take bottle or sippy!

try having someone hold her like you do when you breastfeed her, and feed her the bottle that way. sorry if you're already doing that and I missed that. also, you could try letting her drink from a regular cup, my baby prefers a cup, bc she see's the adults drinking from a cup it's what she wants. Maybe yours would drink sips from a cup, with your help? It can be messy, they drink some and spill some.

I second the suggestion for drinking from a regular cup. My little guy thinks it's fun. Certainly messy, but fun too. Learning to use a bottle is a new skill, and at any age it takes some trial and error and repeated exposure before they figure it out. If you're just starting at 9 mo. it may make sense to skip the bottle altogether and use a cup or sippy cup and just know that it will take some time and yes some frustration but she will learn. And if something were to happen to you, she'd figure it out. Babies (and people in general) are remarkably resilient and adaptable.

Have you tried giving her a straw cup? My LO took to one right away, he's 9 months too.
    He won't drink from a regular sippy cup, but loves using a straw sippy or even just a straw in a cup.

thanks for the ideas! i'll go get a straw cup from target!
    she used to take a bottle exclusively from 1 month through 3 mos. so she is 6 months out of practice on the bottle.

I would abandon the bottle at this age.
    Just put a sippy cup with water on her tray while shes eating. She'll play with it for now but eventually she'll understand.
    IF you had to leave her in an emergency etc. They could use an open cup (shot glasses, baby bottle covers are a great size) solids and water would be sufficient if you'll only be gone a couple hours.
    Playtex has a straw cup i like. You can give it a gentle squeeze so baby understands theres sutff in it.