Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding issues for Mommy and Baby

Exclamation Breastfeeding issues for Mommy and Baby

Mommy issues: I'm pretty sure I have Thrush in both breasts. I have incredibly sore nipples and constant sharp, burning and shooting pains in my breast that go into my back. They are so bad, they take my breath away! I have been using the Lanolin ointment and gel pads to ease the sore nipples without relief. The pain in my breast gets worse by the hour. I need help to try to soothe this until I can make it to my OB. Nursing now has turned into a dreaded task and includes a crying Mommy!

Now, onto baby issues, whenever baby nurses he gets to a point where he is either too full and just wants to suck or he has to burp, or sometimes he just does it and I dont know why, but he will throw his head head back and grunt and groan but won't detach from the nipple. So with already sore nipples, he pulls back and stretches them and will then scream. I dont know what it's from. But, it's very frustrating.

Please help!

Default Re: Breastfeeding issues for Mommy and Baby

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

Thrush: what you describe does sound a lot like thrush, though you should also check out this link on vasospasm: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/ (Vasospasm causes a burning pain which is often mistaken for thrush.) if this is thrush, lanolin and gel pads are not what you want to be using to treat it, since lanolin will just seal moisture in and yeast loves moisture. You're looking for an antifungal treatment (e.g. Diflucan) for both you and the baby. It's pretty common for one member of the nursing pair to be asymptomatic though both are infected and require treatment, so don't let someone simply look in baby's mouth and write off treating him because he doesn't have obvious oral thrush. You also need to pursue rigorous hygeine. Wash your shirts, bras, towels, bibs, and burp cloths after each use, and wash them on hot. Throw out the lanolin, and get a new tube after treatment is complete.

Baby's behavior: could be a lot of things. Babies often pull off/shallow up their latch when they want to control milk flow- imagine it as the baby crimping the straw as he drinks. But it could also just be baby's expression of momentary discomfort- like if he needs to poop, burp, or pass gas. Do you feel like you have a lot of milk right now? Maybe you're frequently engorged or full, feeling strong letdowns, leaking a lot?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

ok i think i have thrush also. didnt see anything in babies mouth. one of my nipples is bleeding now and it hurts sooo bad to feed, im pulling out the pumped milk now which will not last past tomorrow.....do i still feed baby with a bleeding nipple? how do i give relief to these breast/nipples?

Its ok to still feed on the bleeding nipple. Lots of air time, lanolin, and try to avoid bras until you have treated them all for thrush. Get to your doctor for the meds that mommal recommended. I'm sorry you're struggling right now. You'll get through this.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

A little bit of blood in the milk is no big deal. It won't make your baby sick.

Get some help, mama! If this is thrush, it's not going to just clear up without medication.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"