Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much & how long to pump

Default how much & how long to pump

I had a few questions about pumping. How long do you take total for your pump breaks? How much do you normally pump?

A little background... I am asked a lot, by friends and coworkers or classmates, you only need 10 minutes to pump, right? no... Well, I use as much time as I can. I find when I have ten minutes, I get almost nothing for the first 5 minutes!! Is this normal? Then maybe 2 oz total if I have 10 min. If I go for 20 of 25 minutes or more, I have more let-downs and can sometimes double (or triple) output. For the long work day: 15 min before the start, then later: a 20 minute break (5 minutes to get where I need to go & back, 5 minutes get parts out/put away), 10 min (give or take, or as much as possible) actual pump time; I use my whole lunch break, as much time as we get (30 or 40 min) to get food, take back, eat while pumping. My schedule is different daily. Sometimes it seems like I can't get a good output, especially on days when I only have 5 or 10 minutes to pump (on the 3-5 hrs days, baby always wants a bottle). Any tips would be great.

Also, Any tips on setting up faster or getting more output fast at the pump? Thank you in advance for any feedback to all pumping mamas

Default Re: how much & how long to pump

You aren't washing the parts every time you pump are you?

Way too lazy for formula

No, I used to wash or at least rinse & dry them each time, but now I am really rushing, and take apart & stick them right into the cooler with the ice pack and breastmilk. I either handwash them at home, or rinse and boil, or use the dishwasher. Is this recommended?

It's fine. Alot of women waste time washing them between sessions. Not realizing that they can put the whole thing in the fridge or cooler and it's fine. I think 16minutes is reasonable amount of time to pump. 3 minutes for set up and put away and 10 minutes of actual pump time. So getting 2 unpaid 16 minute breaks in addition to your hour lunch break should yield adequate milk for hte next day. Which is all you are ever looking for. Enough to supply what your baby will drink the next day.

Way too lazy for formula

Sometimes I feel like I don't pump enough, but I guess it's fine to do what as much as possible... For example, for 5 hr night class, with 3 - 10 minute breaks, I take approx. 15 minutes & the prof is really nice about it, only wish I could get it down to less time, and am only pump about 1 oz total in the rushed break. I get frustrated to pump only 3 oz in 5 hr, and think it's bc of the time issue. Thanks djsmom. 16 minutes sounds reasonable, and wouldn't it be nice if my lunch were a full hour! I miss being social on breaks & lunch, too. Sorry, venting.

SO altogether even with the 30-40 min lunch break you are only getting one oz per session?

Way too lazy for formula

What sort of pump are you using?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

PISA and on 30-40 min. lunch I get more, betw/ 3 or 4. If the membranes look still good, do they still need replaced?

Doesn't hurt to try replacing the membranes and see what happens...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gwendlynsmom View Post
    PISA and on 30-40 min. lunch I get more, betw/ 3 or 4. If the membranes look still good, do they still need replaced?
    So all together you are getting between 6& 7 oz a day? And how long are you away from the Baby?

Way too lazy for formula