Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 25 weeks pregnant: too late to wean toddler?

Default 25 weeks pregnant: too late to wean toddler?

I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant with my 2nd LO, and still nursing my 2.5 y/o daughter. Tandem nursing isn't exactly a goal of mine, but since I got pregnant with #2, I kind of just assumed I'd end nursing both kids, given how attached DD still is to our nursing relationship. However, as the weeks progress, I'm getting increasingly worried that tandem nursing will be really unpleasant!
    DD currently nurses 2-4 times a day, and if it wasn't for the nipple pain and nursing aversion that began at about 15 weeks, I'd be fine with that. We don't co-sleep (although I will for a few months with the new babe), and she generally STTN or only wakes once. But I know that once my milk comes in, and she sees the new LO nursing, she'll probably want it ALL THE TIME. Plus I'll be on maternity leave for a year and she won't be in daycare, so she'll have more opportunity to want to nurse (she always wants to nurse more on weekends and holidays). I don't know if I'm just being influenced by pregnancy-related nursing aversion, but I'm starting to think that having 2 kids stuck to my boobs at all times will be overwhelming.
    Honestly, I'd love to wean DD, but I worry that with just 15 weeks to go, it's perhaps a bit late. I don't want her to be jealous and blame the new LO for her being cut off from the boob, since she'll be seeing me nurse the new baby. And DD naturally tends to be very sensitive and clingy, and is very emotionally attached to nursing.
    Does anyone have any experience with this? Am I right in thinking that at 25 weeks, it's a bit late to be trying to wean and that I'll probably just have to suck it up and resign myself to a few months of nursing hell? Any positive stories?

Default Re: 25 weeks pregnant: too late to wean toddler?

I am 27 (almost 28 weeks) preg and I have a nursing almost 4yo. She only nurses like 2x a day...I really thought that she would wean on her own by now, but nope! I am actually ok with the idea of her weaning when she is ready, and I have realized now that is probably wont be anytime soon. Tandem nursing? I dunno...She might have to wait till baby is done, then her turn. I guess setting limits is important, but I dont want to just cut her off. I dont htink I have milk anymore, but I am sure its a comfort thing at this stage of the game.

good luck!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

DD1 was 2.5 when DD2 was born and she stopped around 32 weeks. She stopped on her own after we had moved and I ended up in the ER one night with contractions. The move and me missing the bedtime nursing seemed to break the cycle. She had been nursing 3 times per day. She asked a couple times but it was pretty easy to distract. I was glad in many ways but sad too. He sister had some health problems and had trouble nursing for a long time so that made me feel worse after the birth. I kept feeling like if DD1 was still nursing then I wouldn't be pumping etc. That is not that likely to be a problem for you. 8 weeks was along time in her world and she didn't seem to remember that much. hTH!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

I don't think it's too late to wean. I weaned my 2 year old when i was about 6 months pregnant. I actually wanted to tandem nurse but wanted a break at the end of my pregnancy. I told her that my milk had gone but would come back when the bew baby arrived so she could nurse again then if she wanted. She accepted that and would sometimes talk about waiting for the baby to come so that she could nurse again. But then when the baby arrived she never mentioned it! She only asked once and that was a few months after her sister was born. I let her try but she couldn't remember how to latch. She's never shown any jealousy over her sister breastfeeding. Right from the start she would snuggle right up to us and put her face really close to my breast so she could kiss her sister and she never, ever seemed jealous that her sister was breastfeeding. And she was a real boobaholic. I really thought she would start breastfeeding again after her sister was born. So there is hope for you!

Just read the other replies and wanted to say, yes like abaker89 says, a couple of months is a long time in their world. My daughter didn't seem to remember much about breastfeeding either. Was sad for me but seemed to work out OK for her.