Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: FTM wants to EBF...lost and desperately need help?

Default FTM wants to EBF...lost and desperately need help?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. Sorry for the lengthy post but I have so many questions.

I am a FTM had an emergency c-section at 37+6 due fetal heart rate issue. My son was born on 1/11/13 at 5 lbs 13 oz. I was exclusively breast feeding him from day 1. I thought I was doing fine and the lactation consultant from the hospital didn't say otherwise. However, by day 4 he has lost 10% body weight, a little jaundice and not producing enough poops and peeps. His pediatrician and I agree to supplement with formula and he was doing a lot better. My milk didn't come in until day 5 but I felt he wasn't nursing well until day 7. Now day 8, even when I feel he's latching well most of the time and feeding 30min on 1 breast and sometimes on 2, he's still not satisfied, I end up having to supplement with 1-2 oz of formula before he's content. My breast feels softer after each feeding but I am only a size 34B (pre-pregnancy size 34A), so I know he's getting some milk out. When I try to hand express milk, I only see drops come out at a slow rate. Do I have low supply? What about slow let down (is there such a thing)? I am frustrated and is there anything I can do? I am eating oatmeal and taking fenugreek to boast supply for 4 days now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Danyan

Default Re: FTM wants to EBF...lost and desperately need help?

Here's a good resource:

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

It sounds to me like you had a bit of a rocky start, but that you're starting to get your stride. It doesn't sound to me like you have low supply. All of the things you are describing are normal for newborns. If your baby is having enough pees and poops and gaining now, you're doing great. It is normal for a baby to be able to take some formula from a bottle even if they are getting what they need from nursing. Here's information about how to wean off the supplements:

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/

good links above.

it sounds like in the early days with the 10% loss that was a sign that the baby needed some help removing milk better. esp if it felt like your milk didnt come in for 5 days.
    i had to start doing compressions will my lo was nursing in those first few days for the same reasons. it does not sound like he needed formula supplements. he just help transfering.

i do not think you have low supply, try not to worry about that. your baby will need to suck nonstop to build your supply and feel safe. i would suggest setting yourself up in a cozy spot with snacks and books, movies whatever, and plan on nursing your lo all day. your body will make enough milk as long as he is nursing, he is telling your body how much to make.

like pp said, just watch the diaper output. if you want you can do compressions on your breast while hes nursing initially when he latches on to increase the flow of milk, but that may not be necessary.

keep him close and enjoy the early time together. congrats on your baby

Thanks for the reassurance, yeah I don't think I have supply issue but more of a milk transferring issue. I just started the breast compression yesterday and I can really tell he's more efficient in removing milk now. I also found this link that is very helpful in teaching proper latching, breast compression, etc...

http://nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_...id=5&Itemid=17

How long does a baby usually stay on the breast for each feeding? I have him on for about 30 min each session, does that sound about right?

Thanks,
    Danyan

How long does a baby usually stay on the breast for each feeding? I have him on for about 30 min each session, does that sound about right?
    That sounds fine, but don't end the session at 30 minutes if baby is not 'done.' If baby is still fussy, switch sides (even if you already did) and nurse again. If baby won't nurse, try other comforting techniques, and then offer the breast again. You cannot nurse too often. A baby fussing or 'acting hungry' does not mean baby needs to be supplemented! A baby needs to be supplemented only if they cannnot get enough overall by nursing-which you know from poor weight gain, or poor poop output.

Feeding session length can run the gamut, especially in the early weeks, anywhere from 10-60 minutes is normal. Long feedings without appropriate weight gain could possibly indicate poor milk transfer, but you are already suspecting that and taking steps to work on that with the breast compression.
    Feeding frequency is more important than how long a baby nurses. A baby this age should be nursing 10-12 times a 24 hour day-or more.

glad to hear compressions are helpful. you sound like you are doing well.