Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stopped Gaining Weight

Default Stopped Gaining Weight

I'm nursing our son and he hasn't been gaining weight and I'm getting concerned! He was 8 lbs 13 oz when he was born and at his 2 month check up he weighed 13 lbs 3 oz. I weighed him at home at 3 months so I could write it in his baby book and he was only 14 lbs 8 oz and he's been weighing that for the last few weeks. He seems to be stuck at this weight and not progressing at all! He's grown 3.5 inches in 3 months. Combining my milk in a bottle at daycare and my nursing him at home in the evenings, he's eating on average about 7-9 times a day and he is sleeping through the night. He's gotten a lot more active with kicking and flailing his arms around, but he isn't rolling over yet. Is this normal for the weight gain to level off so early? My husband told me I'm worrying for no reason, but it is concerning since he gained weight so fast in the first couple months. He goes to the doctor next month for his 4 month check up.

Default Re: Stopped Gaining Weight

Weight gain is above normal.
    Baby is expected to gain on average a pound a month from the LOWEST (not birth weight) assuming his lowest weight was around 8lbs i'd only expect him to weigh about 11lbs. Home scales are VERY inaccurate and not a good way to gauge gain.....but assuming it was correct He's gained 1lb and 5 oz in a month and your worried!?!?!?! Your 3month old weighs a full pound more then my 10mo!!!!
    Check out this article http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/newborns/scales.html
    Your baby is meeting milestones and gaining more then would be expected.
    How much milk is he receiving at daycare? He should only be getting 1-1.25oz per hr of seperation (8-10oz in a 8hr day) in 2-3oz bottles given every 2-3.5hrs with a slow flow nipple burped after every oz.

On average he takes about 4 bottles. He drinks about 4-4.5 ounces per bottle or one bag of my pumped milk per bottle. I just got really concerned because his doctor told me the first 3 months he should be gaining 1-2 pounds and he was way above that but the last few weeks he's been staying on the 14 lb 8 oz mark. I am using an at home scale so that may be part of the problem.

How long are you at work? It sounds like your LO is getting between 16 and 18 oz at daycare- rather a lot, when you consider that most babies max out their intake at 19-30 oz per day (see http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/). It would make sense if you have a really long workday, though.

How are you weighing your LO- on a home scale, or a professional scale? And is he always in the nude, or is he sometimes dressed and in a diaper? Those factors could easily explain an apparent pause in your child's weight gain.

Even if the pause is real, it sounds like nothing to worry about. Your LO's weight is right in the middle of the charts (see http://kellymom.com/images/growth/growthcharts.gif) and he's right at the age when many babies start to level out.

If you're concerned, you could start interrupting that long stretch of nighttime sleep in order to cram in one more feeding. Might help, can't hurt- well, it can't hurt him. You'll probably be yawning, though!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I work eight hour shifts usually on third shift. I nurse him before I leave for work around 9:30 at night then my husband wakes him up around 5:30 and gives him a bottle. He on average takes 3 bottles during the day at daycare (while I'm home sleeping). I pick him up a little after 3 and he usually nurses 3-4 times off of me in the evenings. Some days he takes 5 bottles total in 10 hours sometimes only 3 bottles. I pump at night and then I wake up during the day to pump to keep my supply up and I'm averaging about 25 ounces of milk for 4-5 pumpings. He's been weighed at the doctor's office every time up until 2 months. The only reason I weighed him at home was so I could write his weight for 3 months in his baby book. I weigh both of us together (him naked) and then I weigh myself ( me not naked! Lol).....not the most scientific method, but he's consistent in his nakedness at least! Lol I just got worried because he was chunking up so fast and now he's been stuck at this weight for a few weeks!