Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Progesterone and milk supply getting low. Help please!

Default Progesterone and milk supply getting low. Help please!

Hi, I was recently put on progesterone capsules to help with irregular/heavy periods and thick uterine lining. I am breastfeeding a 5 month old and have been on the capsules for about 3 days now. I noticed a drop in milk supply yesterday, but was still managing, and noticed even more of a drop today. I already started eating oatmeal and taking fenugreek capsules, but as of yet have not noticed an increase in supply (even though I am already at the "smell of syrup" stage). I called the Dr.'s office and they did not give me a call back. I have read and was also told by the OB/GYN that Progesterone should not affect my supply, so I am a little confused. I am wondering whether I should continue taking the progesterone and wait one more day to see if I get my supply back, or if I should just discontinue taking the pills now. I have no problem not taking the hormones if it will affect my supply forever, heavy periods are preferable to not being able to feed my baby. After all, I have always been irregular, and I don't see the harm in waiting till my LO weans to try again to resolve my issues. Thoughts?

Default Re: Progesterone and milk supply getting low. Help please!

Are you on progesterone or the progestin-only mini-pill? The mini-pill is not supposed to impact supply but there's at least good anecdotal evidence that it does have a negative impact on supply in some moms. I expect progesterone would have the potential to be even more damaging, since it's the true hormone of pregnancy and pregnancy causes most women to lose some or all supply. (That's just my hypothesis, though!)

I think that if you feel like you're losing supply, you go off the medication and put up with the heavy periods until your LO is closer to a year. At a year, when your milk no longer has to be your baby's majority source of nutrition, you can revisit the medication.

Have you had your thyroid function checked? A whacked-out thyroid can cause irregular cycles and heavy bleeding. And postpartum thyroiditis affects about 5% of all women, so it's really common!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for replying. I was on Progesterone capsules, not the mini-pill. I had a plan of action where I should be taking it for 21 days this month, then next month 14 days, and so on. I didn't take the capsule yesterday as my supply was virtually non-existent by night time, and while I am still lacking from my usual amount, I am already noticing a steady increase in milk. Thank you so much for the help. It would make sense that my supply would just about disappear on the hormones, as with each pregnancy I notice my supply is completely gone by month 2. Thankfully during those times my children were no longer infants, but as my daughter is still so young, I was worried. And on the thyroid...funny enough my family Dr. tests me rather constantly for that as I am always displaying symptoms of hyperthyroidism (and I have family history of it), yet every time the labs come back, they are normal. Food for thought though. Thanks again.

Have you been tested really recently?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"