Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scared new mother needs some reassurance...

Default Re: Scared new mother needs some reassurance...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    That's really rough. Have you been able to see the LC yet? There is no substitute for some good hands-on help.
    Meanwhile, can you describe the pain in some more detail? Is it a pinching pain, or a burning pain? Does it happen throughout the feeding, only at the beginning of the feeding, or are the feeding is over? When baby comes off the breast, is your nipple symmetrical, like a pencil eraser, or asymmetrical/wedged/ridged/creased/shaped like a new lipstick?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I said one of the reasons I pump is for reassurance, the other reason is it gives me some relief and time to try things that may help sooth my nipples for the next session. I can't wait to see an LC.

It feels like she is nibbling on the end of my nipple, like that is all she can get in her mouth, it feels like needles or teeth biting down on it. It happens a lot at the beginning but I feel it all the way through, I just cope with it so she can eat, but it makes the next session harder & even more painful. I use a shield to pull my nipple out more, I seem sort of flat. I also use Medela guards that are suppposed to bring out inverted nipples. They do okay, better with them than without them. I would say mine are creased looking?
    Last edited by @llli*haleysmum; January 20th, 2013 at 01:24 PM.

Okay, creased-looking nipples with a nibbling sensation and pain throughout the feeding sounds like the very definition of a shallow latch issue. Ideally, when baby nurses the delicate and sensitive nipple sits on the very back of the tongue, underneath the soft palate. When the nipple is in that sweet spot and the baby sucks, most of the motion, compression, and stimulation is to the resilient flesh of the areola. But when the nipple lands too shallow in the baby's mouth, sitting on the front of the tongue underneath the hard palate, it's going to get compressed and hurt, and it's going to come out looking ridged or wedged or creased.

This is typically a newborn problem- tiny babies have tiny mouths and therefore cannot latch on deeply even at the best of times. But babies grow and their mouths grow, so the likelihood is that your baby will soon grow out of this issue. Just hang in there and keep using the shells, and of course see the LC! This is absolutely the type of problem that requires hands-on help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Okay, creased-looking nipples with a nibbling sensation and pain throughout the feeding sounds like the very definition of a shallow latch issue. Ideally, when baby nurses the delicate and sensitive nipple sits on the very back of the tongue, underneath the soft palate. When the nipple is in that sweet spot and the baby sucks, most of the motion, compression, and stimulation is to the resilient flesh of the areola. But when the nipple lands too shallow in the baby's mouth, sitting on the front of the tongue underneath the hard palate, it's going to get compressed and hurt, and it's going to come out looking ridged or wedged or creased.

This is typically a newborn problem- tiny babies have tiny mouths and therefore cannot latch on deeply even at the best of times. But babies grow and their mouths grow, so the likelihood is that your baby will soon grow out of this issue. Just hang in there and keep using the shells, and of course see the LC! This is absolutely the type of problem that requires hands-on help.
    Thank you so much for your reply, I feel much better! According to my husband I will be contacted by a WIC Lactation Consultant tomorrow, fingers crossed!

I hope things get easier for you soon. Let us know how things go with the LC.

I saw an LC today! She tried to help me get latched a few times and failed. She said that I am large breasted and the LO has a small mouth right now she just can't fit much in her mouth which is making it painful. She said in a week or so when she has a growth spurt things might improve a little bit. But what to do until then. I don't want to just pump, I enjoy the closeness I get with her at breastfeeding. So my question is. Will my LO get enough milk if I use the shield? I can tolerate the pain with the shield if it means she is well fed. I don't want her to go hungry so I just wanted to know if she will be okay on the shield until I get this problem sorted?

They weighed her at the clinic, on Friday she weighed 6lbs, today she weighed 6lbs 5 ounces, they took a couple off for clothing so she weighs around 6lbs 1 or 2 ounces, she hasn't lost anything, that is a good sign she is eating well right? That and I'm constantly changing her because of wet and dirty diapers...
    I just need some reassurance. I don't want to put her on formula, but I need to know I can give her what she needs, is it still effective for her if it hurts me?

Thanks again.....

I've never used a shield, but to me it sounds like your situation is just the kind where it might be helpful. Just be aware that you can develop a dependence on it if you use it for too long. As long as she's getting plenty of good diaper output, you're doing fine. I would be really wary of putting too much weight on a weighing where they just estimate clothing!

It sounds like you are doing the right thing. Maybe some folks here have some additional tips on getting small babies to get a good latch on a big breast. Otherwise, it does sound like she'll grow into it over time (hopefully sooner rather than later).

saw an LC today! She tried to help me get latched a few times and failed. She said that I am large breasted and the LO has a small mouth right now she just can't fit much in her mouth which is making it painful. She said in a week or so when she has a growth spurt things might improve a little bit. But what to do until then. I don't want to just pump, I enjoy the closeness I get with her at breastfeeding. So my question is. Will my LO get enough milk if I use the shield? I can tolerate the pain with the shield if it means she is well fed. I don't want her to go hungry so I just wanted to know if she will be okay on the shield until I get this problem sorted?

They weighed her at the clinic, on Friday she weighed 6lbs, today she weighed 6lbs 5 ounces, they took a couple off for clothing so she weighs around 6lbs 1 or 2 ounces, she hasn't lost anything, that is a good sign she is eating well right? That and I'm constantly changing her because of wet and dirty diapers...
    I just need some reassurance. I don't want to put her on formula, but I need to know I can give her what she needs, is it still effective for her if it hurts me?

Thanks again.....
    I am glad you saw the lc. but I do not understand how you can walk out of that appointment with so many questions.

Was this a board certified lactation consultant? how long was the appointment? was there any attempt to have you latch and nurse with the sheild?

yes it is true that sometimes baby getting bigger helps with latch. of course. It is also true that very tiny babies latch just fine on large breasts. Large thick nipples are more of a problem, but if a nipple sheild helps baby latch, that suggeests you do not have large thick nipples. But anyway-

If a mom is told this by an lc and sent on her way, with no plan for how to feed the baby, her questions unanswered, and no followup appontment, the mom has not been cared for correctly.
    Call them back, explian your baby did not nurse at the last appointment, so you need another appointment right away. Since you can use the sheild to latch, use the sheild so the IBCLC can observe the session. Also you could use the sheild to nurse baby and do a before and after nursing weight check. --With an IBCLC who knows how to do these correctly-

Baby should always be weighed on the same scale with nothing on. Always. otherwise the weight check is suspect.

'is nursing effective with the sheild' I assume by effective you mean, baby is getting enough milk. -yes, certainly, it can be. Is nursing effective when it hurts you- yes, certainly, it can be. You know baby is getting enough if they are gaining. Baby should be gaining at this point. poop output is part of the story but actual gain is very important.

I am sorry but sometimes moms have to be very insistent and determined in getting the right kind of help. If you want to breastfeed, it is time to advocate for yourself and your baby. Get baby weiged accurately on the same infant scale so you can accurately determine gain. Make sure you are getting competent breastfeeding assistance by a clinically trained LC. Meanwhile, nurse baby at least 10 times a day. If you can not nurse that often due to pain, you need to pump that often, preferably with a rental grade multi user pump.

I am so glad you replied, I was assuming because it was painful that the latch was wrong and therefore she wasn't getting enough, it's nice to know that although it hurts me, she is still getting fed. Thank you!
    I did leave with more questions than answers, I went there in the hope that I would come home with a good latch and some peace of mind, but the LC just sort of said there is nothing they can do, for a while at least. I was deflated. We did try to latch with and without the shield, it's less painful with the shield. Even when I am home I try and try to get her to latch properly, taking her on and off the breast but eventually, I just deal with the pain and let her eat. It always just feels like she is nibbling on the end of my nipple.

I was there for around an hour, this is how it went...

Showed up and sat down
    She looked in LO mouth and said she isn't tongue tied
    She looked to find thrush? Said there is none.
    We then got a nursing pillow and she tried to help me get her to latch, maybe 4 times. (without shield)
    We then tried a different position, same thing...
    I then asked if I could show her with the shield, she said it looked good but again it still hurt...
    She weighed the LO
    She offered for us to watch a video, baby led feeding? We watched that and then she disappeared, we didn't see her again.

I left in tears, I so want to breastfeed, it's so important to me. But I want it to be a pleasant experience, not stressful like it is at the moment. I won't quit, no way but I really just need someone to help me get this right.

I am so glad you replied, I was assuming because it was painful that the latch was wrong and therefore she wasn't getting enough, it's nice to know that although it hurts me, she is still getting fed. Thank you!
    please note i was speaking generally, as in, yes it is possible for a baby to get enough milk when using a shield or nursing is painful. I cannot speak to whether your baby is getting enough. I have no idea. It sounds like poops are going well, but I have no idea about weight gain, if she really only gained one ounce in 4 days that is not terribly reassuring, although nor is it a reason to panic.

I don’t know what to say about the appt. Some parts sound good (exam, attempting several times to help baby latch) others not so good-no history taken, showing you a video instead of working more with you or answering your questions.

Did you try any positions without the pillow? anything about laid back posture, or making a 'breast or nipple sandwich' for baby? Did she model good latch using a cloth demonstration breast? Is there a follow up scheduled?

I think you saw this person via WIC? In my county, the WIC program offers an excellent lactation consultant program, but the quality of these programs around the country vary considerably. Some offer peer counselors or nutritionists who may be wonderful at what they are good at, but are not IBCLCs.

You need to see an IBCLC. One you feel comfortable with and confident in.

Please go back and ask for more help.

If they cannot help you further, please contact your local LLL to see if they know of any other programs for you. Contact your local breastfeeding coalition for the same. What about your hcp? do they provide lactation services?
    An appointment with a private practice IBCLC may be more affordable than you think. Some will provide sliding scale options, discounts, pay plans. Full cost per appointment varies greatly, from as low as $50 to as high as $300.

Your husband or another helper can make these calls for you. Even LLL.
    Are you using a hospital grade pump?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; January 21st, 2013 at 09:45 PM.