Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 week old Baby-Breastfeeding/Pumping

Default 4 week old Baby-Breastfeeding/Pumping

Hello all! I am new to this site, and am hoping I can get some assistance. I had my baby on 12/21 and was unable to feed him at first, I dont believe he would latch on and the nurses at the hospital really didnt try and help me that much they gave me formula to give the baby. The baby is now 4 weeks old and I have an electric pump. However, I am not even able to obtain 1/2 an ounce out of each breast when I pump for 20-30 minutes. My dr. told me to try and take Fenugreek to help increase my supply, but it isnt helping at all. He said he could put me on a prescription drug if need be. My question is, is it too late to try and increase my supply. If I take the prescription, will I be able to increase my supply at all? I dont want to purchase the drug and then find out I waited too long. I have tried to get my baby to latch on here and there since his birth, but it doesnt happen.

Default Re: 4 week old Baby-Breastfeeding/Pumping

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby! I'm sorry you didn't get more assistance in the hospital, when you needed it so badly.

It is absolutely not too late to get your baby to latch or to increase your milk supply.

This link covers getting a baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are said to be especially helpful. I'd also love for you to try a nipple shield, as they can be really useful tools for getting non-latching babies to the breast.

Increasing supply is usually a matter of increasing the frequency and completeness of milk removal from the breast, and of having the right tools for the job. The more often you drain the breast, the more milk you'll make. For this to happen, you need the right tools: a very good double electric pump (preferably hospital grade) with correctly sized shields. You'll want to use them as often as possible, using the pump to mimic the type of demand offered by a newborn. That means pumping 10-12 times a day or every 2-3 hours, or more frequently if you can manage it, for around 15-20 minutes at a time. Now, if you are unable to maintain that sort of pump schedule you should still see results, albeit not as rapidly.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"