Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping amount decreased

Default Pumping amount decreased

My LO is 1 month old and I was having a little bit of an oversupply issue(I think) in previous weeks. I was pumping during am after a morning feed and getting 3-5oz total. I was just pumping to put a little milk in freezer for when i am not with him(rarely) or for going back to work. The past week I really haven't pumped and was just EBF. Since I might have an oversupply I just stopped pumping for a week. So I have tried pumping a little the last few days b/c I will be away from baby for 4 hrs soon and I am barely getting 1.5 oz total. Is this normal? My supply regulated to him now? He is eating about every 2 hrs and has gained 2 lbs since birth. He doesn't always feed on both sides yet I still don't get much more than 1.5 oz from that breast. Should I be pumping more?

Default Re: Pumping amount decreased

It's really normal for moms to have an oversupply in the beginning - the fact that you were able to pump 3-5 ounces after a feed is consistent with oversupply, much more common to get what you are getting now - ie the 1.5 ounces. Over time your supply will regulate to match demand, which is what it sounds like happened in your case, and you also did the right thing by backing down on the pumping since that will tend to worsen oversupply. There's no reason for you to pump more now unless you still need to build up your back-to-work stash. Even then all you need is one day's worth of milk in the fridge/freezer for your first day back at work - 1 to 1.5 ounces/hour apart. So for example if you're apart for 8 hours, you'd need 12 ounces max. You may already be there from what you were pumping before. Then you pump while you're at work for the next working day. If you do need to keep adding to the stash, pump once a day max, usually you'll get the best results in the morning when breasts are fullest; if you pump more than once a day you risk getting back into oversupply issues. Sounds like you are doing great!

I agree with above that 1.5 ounces or so is probably the typical amount you'd be pumping, though your baby may actually be extracting more milk than that as he is probably more efficient at getting out the last little bits of milk than the pump.

To increase output when pumping, you can try breast compressions during pumping sessions. Use your hand in a c shape to massage the breast while pump is going. Also try hand-expressing milk after no more milk is coming out of the pump (see this video for technique http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html) and then pump again for a few minutes.

Great. I think I was just nervous because the amount was so decreased. I really have no need to pump everyday except to just have extra in freezer for when we are apart for more than 2 hours, which is infrequent. I'm not returning to work for another 6 weeks but will be working 12 hrs on sat and sun. Thanks for the tips