Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cereal after 4 months?

Default cereal after 4 months?

My sons doc said when hes 4 months he should start getting cereal, but i thought babies werent supposed to have anything except bm til 6 months?? My sister said she started feeding her son cereal and the pureed veggies at 4 months also... Im a first time momma so alot of this is new to me, any thoughts on this?

Default Re: cereal after 4 months?

You are correct. Nothing but breastmilk until the 6month point. Your pedi gave you outdated information. And when starting solids, ricer cereal isn't on LLL list of 1st foods. Since it's highly processed, and has no real nutritional value. Better to start him on real whole foods. Like sweet potato, banana and avacado. You can find the list of LLL recommended 1st foods, on the front page of the website.

Way too lazy for formula

The pediatrician is simply wrong. This is the American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk (http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...5/2/496.full):

And this is what the policy statement says about solids:

"Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life‡ and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection.30,34,128,178–184 Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child.185

Complementary foods rich in iron should be introduced gradually beginning around 6 months of age.186–187 Preterm and low birth weight infants and infants with hematologic disorders or infants who had inadequate iron stores at birth generally require iron supplementation before 6 months of age.148,188–192 Iron may be administered while continuing exclusive breastfeeding.

Unique needs or feeding behaviors of individual infants may indicate a need for introduction of complementary foods as early as 4 months of age, whereas other infants may not be ready to accept other foods until approximately 8 months of age.193

Introduction of complementary feedings before 6 months of age generally does not increase total caloric intake or rate of growth and only substitutes foods that lack the protective components of human milk.194

During the first 6 months of age, even in hot climates, water and juice are unnecessary for breastfed infants and may introduce contaminants or allergens.195"

Ok thats what i thought, thank you! Im not looking forward to the conversation im gonna have with his pediatrician though. :-/

If you're comfortable with your choices, you don't necessarily have to have further discussion with him about or directly challenge his advice if you're not comfortable doing that. If he asks at the 6 month check-up, you can just say "oh, we're planning to do that soon/just started" (as appropriate) and leave it at that.

The conversation can go along these lines:

Doctor: "So, how's it going with the cereal?"

You: "Just fine."

Of course, "just fine" can mean "I didn't buy any and I don't intend to, so let's spend our 20 minutes together on things which are actually concerns, rather than fighting over things which aren't."

Or...you could get a new pediatrician. One that is up to date and giving his/her patients correct information. I wouldn't be able to help questioning what else he's telling me that's absolutely wrong.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    Or...you could get a new pediatrician. One that is up to date and giving his/her patients correct information. I wouldn't be able to help questioning what else he's telling me that's absolutely wrong.
    BUT that is because you are a Biznatch. NOW. I am PRETTY sure that isn't what you would have done when Nora was 4 months old.

Way too lazy for formula

You're so right.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous