Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bad latch

Default Bad latch

Hello,

My DS doesn't have a great latch. When he was first born, I worked with a Lactation Consultant to correct a disorganized suck that I don't think has been completely corrected. However, he is doing great when it comes to growth, which is why I haven't worried about this. DS was born in October at 7 lbs 13 oz and today at a little over 3 months, he weighs about 16 1/2 lbs (according to a bathroom scale). His last official weigh-in at the pedi. was on 12/26, and he weighed 14 lbs 8 oz.

I'm wondering if his poor latch will affect him in the future, or should I just continue with what we're doing? He does burp a lot and spit up a lot, but neither seem to bother him and we've been dealing with both since the beginning.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Default Re: Bad latch

His growth looks outstanding. Matter of fact a little to outstanding. Any chance there is an oversupply and/or overactive letdown? That can cause alot of what your seeing. Check out this article, does it sound like you guys?

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

Default Re: Bad latch

Yes--I have an oversupply and a fast letdown. I had both with my ODS too, but this little guy has always been able to handle it. This definitely explains the growth--I spoke to my LC about this early on. With ODS, we ended up with foremilk/hindmilk imbalance which was resolved with help by my LC and led to my diagnosis.

As I was looking at the link, I wonder if the burping/spit up is more from the oversupply/fast letdown than a poor latch...hmmmm...