Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone gotten rid of a UTI naturally?

Default Anyone gotten rid of a UTI naturally?

I really don't want to take antibiotics if i can help it.
    I don't have any pain or fever just a frequent need to pee.
    Dr prescribed cipro - I'm mildly allergic to penicillin.

I've had it for 4 days - drinking heaps of water with apple cider vinegar and taking AZO cranberry pills.
    Resting or sleeping is out of the question as my little hates sleeping which is becoming a real issue!

Any one have an luck naturally and how long did it take - I hate feeling unwell.

Thanks

Default Re: Anyone gotten rid of a UTI naturally?

i always have success with sipping on cranberry juice all day.. the fruit sweetened kind, not sugar sweetened or corn syrup sweetened. i have also had success with eating extra garlic. make yourself some spaghetti with LOADS of fresh garlic cooked into the sauce. i've also heard that ginger works, like ginger tea.
    good luck, i know how badly those hurt! and i NEVER take antibiotics for them. i always end up with a horrible stomach if i do!

Thanks - will do the garlic now!
    Can you tell me how long yours last for?
    My fear is getting a kidney infection!!

I've heard that blueberries/blueberry juice is supposed to be really good for UTIs, and keep drinking lots of water to flush it out.

i've had UTI that lasts over a week before. you will know if it is turning into kidney if your back starts hurting, too. don't be afraid, it isn't a huge deal, but at that point you will likely need that antibiotic.
    and i second the blueberry juice, that works well, has less sugar, and tastes really awesome!
    i would also avoid super junky foods, like fried stuff and really salty stuff, as it could make your body hang on to the extra water rather than releasing it. don't resist the urge to pee, just keep going so your body can get rid of it!

I'm the UTI queen. In my experience, I can get rid of it naturally if I drink A LOT of fluids and if it hasn't progressed to the point of being painful (unfortunately, mine are usually painful). In my experience, cranberry is more effective at prevention, rather than treatment, but I don't think it hurts. The most important thing is that you drink and pee as much as possible to flush out your system.

Kidney infections can actually be very damaging and life threatening, so I wouldn't say they're not a huge deal. My experience with kidney infections is that they will take a lot more out of you than a standard bladder infection, require more treatment and a longer recovery time. If I had a UTI that wasn't painful, but it started to progress and worsen or I got a fever, vomiting, diarrhea, etc., I'd take the Cipro rather than wait to find out if it became a kidney infection.

If it does get painful and you want some relief, I suggest AZO Standard, which is an OTC pain reliever for UTIs. You can find it in the analgesic section at the drugstore. It doesn't treat the actual infection, but can make life more bearable while the infection clears up. Note: I'm not sure this is compatible with breastfeeding,so definitely check that out beforehand.
    Last edited by @llli*tallmadre; January 20th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.