Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Friend needs help...please read

Default Friend needs help...please read

My good friend had a c-section on Friday. Her baby is latching on now, but when the first 24 hours without wanting to take her breast. The doctor said he would be okay even if he didn't have any colostrum that first day.

Today she's home and he hasn't stopped crying. I sense he might be hungry, is colicky or simply wants to be cuddled more.

I want to help and can only give her advice I think might help, but I'm not a mom yet so my advice is only so helpful.

I advice using a sling, which she doesn't have and just bringing him to her bed. Maybe by lying next to her, he might sleep and so might she.

I want to visit her, but she 3 hours away and my husband is concerned about my well being, since he doesn't want me to stress. I just want to help.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Friend needs help...please read

What is the baby's diaper output in the past 24 hours?

There are so many reasons that a newborn might cry, and many new parents find that a contented baby in the hospital is suddenly a fussy baby on the first night home. I guess the first thing we want to do -- especially given their rocky start to breastfeeding -- is to make sure that he is nursing well, getting plenty of milk, making plenty of diapers.

If your friend has internet access, please encourage her to post here directly. She also might want to call a local LLL Leader if she has any concerns about how her baby is breastfeeding.

My DD wouldn't take the breast for the first 26 hours, (I had a tubal the day after she was born) she is now 6 weeks and doing good. The one thing that the nurse had me do to keep me from freaking out was to pump what I could and feed her with a medicine dropper (i think i got like 1 tablespoon the first time). Also, lots of skin to skin contact. It took my working with a nurse and my lo for about and hour to get her to latch for the first time, and then it was like the light went on with her and she got it. In the meantime, she needs to make sure she is building up her supply. I would try to nurse, then pump if she wouldn't take the breast, and try to feed her what i could get. I did that ever 2 hours, just like a newborn would normally feed. Tell her to keep working at it, and try to be as encouraging as possible. It was really hard for me to think my precious baby was rejecting me, my breast, my milk. when that really wasn't the case.
    HTH

Rebecca is right, there are so many reasons why a baby might cry, so it's hard to pinpoint. After the initial needs are taken care of (baby's fed, changed, etc.), maybe try swaddling. All my boys responded really well to being in that tight, close space just after they were born, especially my twins. I was surprised how well it calmed them. You'll need a good-sized thin blanket to swaddle well, so that the baby doesn't kick out of it too quickly.

HTH

Lisa