Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Day Weaning?

Default Day Weaning?

Hi everyone!

DD is 11 months and we are SO CLOSE to making it to the one year mark. This was my goal for bfing and after all sorts of ups and downs, we are almost there! However, lately she has been refusing to nurse during the day. This morning she refused her first wake up nursing session - never had that happen before. However, she will nurse before bed and then 2 times at night. The kicker is that she won't even really accept pumped BM from a bottle, a sippy, a dropper, etc. during the day either. However, I offered her a little juice just to see what she would do and she downed 2 oz. My husband says that she's just sick of milk because that's all she's been getting for almost a year. I'm not sure that's the case... but I guess I don't know!

The last time this happened (maybe a month ago) she ended up with an ear infection and nursed better after medicine. Should I take her back to the doctors or should I just keep pumping and hope she'll drink the milk at some point? Can babies have BM aversions after months of successful nursing? I'm keeping an eye on the diapers in case they get low, but I just thought I'd see what you guys thought. Can babies wean for just the day time before completely weaning altogether?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Day Weaning?

I would take her to the doctor. It's still sick season. I also wouldn't give her any juice at all. She downed it because there is a TON of sugar in it. And x 1000 at your DH making stuff up and you thinking maybe he knows what is up. Babies don't ever get sick of breastmilk. It's sweeter than cow's milk and the flavor changes based on what you eat. Your child does not have a breastmilk aversion. Nor is she sick of it. What does happen is when kids learn to walk they tend to be more distracted. Especially if you are taking them out during the day. I would however be prepared for the nursing to increase next month or right around there when her 1st year molars break.

Way too lazy for formula

Okay - we have a "check up" from the last ear infection on Wednesday of next week, but I might call on Monday and see if we can come early. I don't normally give her juice, but I just wanted to see what she would do if she was given something besides BM. I love it when hubby makes things up

She still only has the bottom 2 teeth, so idk where the others are, but I've been wondering if they've been moving about in there. No fever though, and tylenol doesn't seem to make a difference. The normal "destractibility" stuff hasn't been working either. She seems happy enough to get to the boob, but then pushes on me, hard, and then signs "all done" with out eating. Same as last time, which makes me think maybe another ear infection, but I guess we'll see how she does over the weekend. Thanks as always

Next time you want to give her something other than breastmilk, try water.

Way too lazy for formula