Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help, baby still constantly eating

Default need help, baby still constantly eating

I need some help before I just leave my child and run away. Not really, but she is driving me crazy. She's 4 1/2 months old now. She's STILL eating every 1 - 1/2 hours during the day and every 2 hours at night. We co sleep and I'm still not getting any sleep. I'm exhausted. She's been this way since birth, only then she was wanting to eat pretty much non stop. Seriously, I would get like a 15 minute break if I was lucky. She had reflux up till about a month ago. It's gotten a lot better. And I think at one point I had over supply or something. Sometimes I would accidentally spray her but that seems to have gotten better.
    She varies on how long she'll eat for. Sometimes she'll be done in 3 minutes on just one side, sometimes 40 minutes later I have to force her off. She will not take a pacifier or a bottle, I have tried many different kinds.
    The problem is we are traveling in April to another state about 15 hours away. If I still have to feed her every hour and a half it's gonna take us forever to get there. We'll be stopping literally every hour.
    I need suggestions please.

Default Re: need help, baby still constantly eating

Welcome to the forum, mama! And congratulations on making through the first 4.5 months. My girls were also constant nursers and I know how tiring it can be. The first thing I have to say is that your baby's feeding frequency is utterly normal. I know there are people out there who insist- with straight faces, even!- that babies only need to nurse every 3-4 hours and should be sleeping through the night by the time they are 3 minutes old. And I always want to ask them "How do you know what my individual baby needs?" A lot of the advice about what sort of nursing frequency is normal dates from a time when almost all babies were formula fed, early solids were the norm, and if a mom nursed for a few weeks she was considered to be some sort of hippy.

In your shoes, I would stop worrying about the car trip. Not only is your car trip months away- months during which everything can and probably will change!- but also, many babies who nurse all. the. time. when they are home with mom will go much longer when riding in the car. My girls, who nursed every 1-2 hours during the day, would often go 3 hours when riding in the car.

I would also check out the book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It gives you a realistic perspective on infant sleep, and suggests some gentle techniques which may encourage longer stretches of more independent sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mully4235 View Post
    I need some help before I just leave my child and run away. Not really, but she is driving me crazy. She's 4 1/2 months old now. She's STILL eating every 1 - 1/2 hours during the day and every 2 hours at night. We co sleep and I'm still not getting any sleep. I'm exhausted. She's been this way since birth, only then she was wanting to eat pretty much non stop. Seriously, I would get like a 15 minute break if I was lucky. She had reflux up till about a month ago. It's gotten a lot better. And I think at one point I had over supply or something. Sometimes I would accidentally spray her but that seems to have gotten better.
    She varies on how long she'll eat for. Sometimes she'll be done in 3 minutes on just one side, sometimes 40 minutes later I have to force her off. She will not take a pacifier or a bottle, I have tried many different kinds.
    The problem is we are traveling in April to another state about 15 hours away. If I still have to feed her every hour and a half it's gonna take us forever to get there. We'll be stopping literally every hour.
    I need suggestions please.
    At 6 months my DD is still eating thru the night vs sleeping. We also co-sleep. Mon - Fri I nurse all morning, go to a full time job where I pump, come home and nurse thru the evening and do the nurse all night thing again. On weekends no pumping, just nursing. Yup I'm tired, but 6 months from now I'm going to look back on this time and long for these days wondering why it all went by so fast.
    As far as a car trip goes, I agree with the PP, don't stress about it now when it's in April. I have wasted so much energy stressing in advance of the next unfamiliar thing. We made it thru the first road trip when she was 3 months. I sat in back w/her the whole time because she cries and screams in the car seat. I also nursed her. No we didn't stop every time. I'm not telling anyone how they should approach this, but that's how it was. Since that trip I've flown domestically with her once w/out DH and just this week flew internationally, this time with DH thank goodness. And you know what? We survived it all w/out issues -- it takes planning, energy, diligence and yes - nursing. But moms have superpowers. We carried that baby for 40 weeks, give or take, we gave birth. We can DO this!
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

I am pretty sure in the car, she is going to sleep for longer periods of time than normal. Most kids do in moving vehichles. Even kids that hate the car do when they finally go down. I wouldn't worry about the trip in terms of having to stop every hour.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks. I've really been worried about the trip and keep getting pressured from my husband to get her on formula. This is the longest I've made it breastfeeding fully. Does it ever get better? Get less often? She's also so very gassy ALL the time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mully4235 View Post
    Thanks. I've really been worried about the trip and keep getting pressured from my husband to get her on formula. This is the longest I've made it breastfeeding fully. Does it ever get better? Get less often? She's also so very gassy ALL the time.
    Does it get better? Sure but one day you're suddenly teary eyed because the cute completely dependent little angel has been replaced with a toddler!

But seriously, as you know they DO grow up, this is a for now thing, not a forever thing. She hasn't even been in this world as long as you carried her. Time passes quickly and I truly do celebrate what I've got going, even though with ups there are downs. Yesterday was DD's 6 month bday. I was like, hell ya I've been EBFing a HALF a year, I rock! She subsequently spent the entire night reaching for my boobs and I got a crappy night's sleep and had to face an insane day at work today. But I chose to have a good attitude about it because I know - I KNOW - how much I am going to miss having her be so small and sweet once she becomes a little person.

Regarding gas, we had it bad although after 3 months we were through the worst of it. Are you saying she just has a lot of flatulence or is she reacting to it, as in getting upset/distressed. We had a lot of gas induced crying in those initial 3 months - she still farts like a frat boy but now that her gut has matured it doesn't seem to bother her in the least.

P.S. instead of formula you could bring expressed breast milk on the trip. If you can't BF maybe someone in the car could give her a bottle of your milk? For our trip to Canada last week we brought six 3 oz bags of frozen milk on dry ice to make sure my husband had plenty to feed her while I was working in my company's Calgary office. That milk made it to the airport, on 2 flights with a plane change, through customs and to the hotel. A car ride would have been a heck of a lot easier. To warm bottles we carried a simple thermos like canister filled with hot water. Remove the cover, pour the water in and put the bottle in the water to heat. Water stays hot a long time. It looks like this. http://www.tommeetippee.us/ctn/522010.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    Regarding gas, we had it bad although after 3 months we were through the worst of it. Are you saying she just has a lot of flatulence or is she reacting to it, as in getting upset/distressed. We had a lot of gas induced crying in those initial 3 months - she still farts like a frat boy but now that her gut has matured it doesn't seem to bother her in the least.
    Both. And what would make her pop on and off of the breast constantly while nursing? She's not getting upset, but is on and off constantly somnetimes and it drives me crazy!

Popping on and off is really common infant behavior that can have a lot of different causes, including discomfort (baby needs to poop/toot, baby is teething), distraction (really typical at around 4-6 months when baby is suddenly interested in things happening across the room), and flow speed (baby wants to control a fast letdown or speed up a slow one).

Not to be a naysayer, but 15 hours in the car with a 7-8 month old does sound kind of rough. I've done 8-hour trips with babies of a variety of ages, and it is never easy. I doubt you'll be stopping every hour, but you probably will need to plan to stop every few hours, and even so may at some point just have to let her cry for a while, unless you're comfortable doing what the PP suggested. We used to plan to do the 8 hour drive overnight to maximize infant sleepiness. But with a 15 hour trip obviously that only goes so far. I'm not saying panic, that's not helpful, obviously, but do try to plan ahead and build in some fun rest stops if you can (interesting sights along your route, take ferries instead of bridges so you can nurse on the go, etc). And expect there may be some unfun moments... you'll get through it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Popping on and off is really common infant behavior that can have a lot of different causes, including discomfort (baby needs to poop/toot, baby is teething), distraction (really typical at around 4-6 months when baby is suddenly interested in things happening across the room), and flow speed (baby wants to control a fast letdown or speed up a slow one).
    4 to 4.5 months was when I really started to notice the distraction popping off. Sights and sounds were really coming into focus. I know exactly what you mean when you say it's driving you crazy. Sometimes it's on off on off on off with a matter of minutes. And no fun when they take the nipple along with the head turn. Warning - at 6 months it's no better! And if you're in public hold onto that blanket or nursing cover because the hand control is quite good and it's off before you know it. Funny story - i was nursing on the plane last week well covered. DD and i both fell asleep and when i woke the boob was out there for all passing passengers and flight attendants to see.

But i digress - at home if the meal is going nowhere I make a conscious effort to go somewhere quiet with soft or no lighting to at least attempt to get away from distractions.