Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too late to increase supply?

Default Re: Too late to increase supply?

I'm working to increase supply because the LC says he's not eating enough or gaining fast enough. He's gaining around 3oz per week. She seems to have given up on my milk supply increasing for the moment and says I should be happy I'm supplying 2/3 of his nutrition and that he must get the rest from formula while I try to increase my supply. I have an appointment this Wed with my ped to see what he thinks. And I'm gonna talk to my chiro about it tomorrow. Until then, I can just go by what the LC says, by my mommy instinct, and by trying to interpret his cues.

He's not really a fussy baby. He's quite happy and healthy, alert, smiling, "talking," lots of poopy diapers: 2-4. But he does still seem hungry after some feedings. The tugging and pushing, working his little mouth to open wide looking to latch on when I take off to switch sides--which I do when it gets painful.

I'll ask for different shields. I get a new pump from the health dept on tues as my LC wants this rental back. Should I pump in between the longer stretches? With the shorter stretches between nursing it already seems like he's ready to nurse shortly after I've finished pumping from the previous nursing.

Could it be that I'm not nursing him long enough? I was reading an article on slow weight gain here http://www.breastfeedingmums.com/dr_...eight_gain.htm
    that mentions about babies not nursing long enough after the flow slows down, so not getting those extra let downs that come later. Lately I've been nursing him for shorter periods but much more often. So he nurses for about 20-30 min 10-12 times with a few longer ones in there. Could it be that?
    Or could it be that I started seeing cold symptoms (myself) Sun or Mon? Could that affect supply?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions!

How is your thrush situation at this point? Are you and the baby being treated? I can't imagine pumping feeling good even with perfect shields if you have thrush.

Some women do report a temporary dip in production while they are sick. I have a terrible cold myself, and while I haven't had issue with my LO seeming hungry or changing her feeding behavior, my pumping outputs have been extremely low the last four days. Normally I can get 1-2 oz after my morning feed, and I am getting drips right now. I am just trying to rest and stay extremely hydrated.

My daughter is never patient enough to wait for later letdowns in a feeding unless she is dream feeding, so I switch feed her a LOT. As soon as she gets frustrated or stops swallowing, I switch sides. Sometimes I do it six or more times, especially in the evening when my letdowns are slowest.

Thank you so much! I think it is the thrush that's causing the pain! My nipples are already sore before I begin pumping. Sore nipples makes it hard to feed him for long sessions as well. The switch feeding helps for those times when he gets fidgety! I could try switching more times if needed...usually only switch 3-4 times. Thank you.

Oh, my cold is almost better too and LO is showing no symptoms, hope yours is on the mend!

I think my cold is finally turning the corner...day six for me. My LO is also still healthy as can be--the only one in my house who is, actually! Gotta love that breastmilk.

Good luck with the thrush.