Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing strike at 9 months. Advice please.

Default Nursing strike at 9 months. Advice please.

My 9 month old son is 3 weeks in to a complete nursing strike. We have had a very smooth, very easy, and wonderful breast feeding relationship up until this point so this has come as a complete shock and we are both struggling with it. Three weeks ago he had a nasty cold with a very sore throat. When he tried to latch he would cry out in pain. He went from nursing every 2-3 hours, night & day, to completely refusing the breast. I have been optimistic all along that we may be able to gently coax him back to the breast but he continues to refuse it. He is now finally over his sickness but shows no interest in nursing.

I have maintained contact with my LLL leader throughout and have tried all the things she has recommended but to no avail. I am pumping 6 times a day and maintaining an output of about 18oz a day which he is drinking from a cup. Has anyone had experience of such a long nursing strike? Could he still return to nursing or is that possibility now dwindling? I will be devastated if this is how it is going to end. I had high hopes of nursing to one, and beyond. This has been such an emotional experience and has left me feeling so sad and missing that bond with my baby so very much.

I really have tried everything to get my son to return to nursing so in many ways this is more me getting this off my chest than asking for advice. At the same time I would love to hear any suggestions anyone might have. Both for encouraging him to return to the breast, and for dealing with the emotional aspect of this.

Default Re: Nursing strike at 9 months. Advice please.

Maybe try skin on skin contact, take off your shirt and bra and get him down to his pamper and lay him on you and see what he does... worth a shot

What would he do if you just didn't allow any solids or alternate sources of nutrition other then directly from the breats for a set amount of time. I would try 8hrs from when he wakes.
    Have you tried twilight nursing?

Have you tried nursing him in his sleep? While he naps and in the middle of the night? Most striking babies WILL eat while sleeping or sleepy.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you for the tips, though sadly even when I try to nurse him in his sleep he still turns away from, or refuses the breast. It is such a mystery to me. I have not however tried holding back solids for a period of time. I may go ahead and experiment with this tomorrow, it really is the last thing I have to try so nothing to lose at this stage.

???He won't nurse in his sleep???

Way too lazy for formula

No. Even in his sleep he turns away from the breast. Before this nursing strike I could always get him to latch on and feed in his sleep. Now however he does not want to be anywhere near the breast :-(

Have you tried nursing him in the bath?? Maybe even in the bath in the dark. My son is the same age (and I know baths can be fun and playtime), but when my son and I were having problems nursing being in the bath helped us both relax and provided lots of skin to skin. It really helped us get in the game.

I really hope you can get him back on! I feel so bad.