Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems pumping and nursing

Default Problems pumping and nursing

Can anyone offer me any advice/suggestions? I am nursing a 7 month old and vs my supply increasing with her needs, I feel like my supply is decreasing. I do the massaging, hot water, Fenugreek and nothing. Does anyone know if there is anything more I can do to increase my milk supply?

Default Re: Problems pumping and nursing

First it is important to find out WHY you think your supply is decreasing. For the most part supply meets demand so if your baby is nursing regularly and is wetting diapers, that should be okay. Pumping supply can be less reliable, but there are things you can do. I would check in with the working and pumping forum for their suggestions too.

Welcome to the forum! Can you tell us a bit more about your routine? Are you working full-time, or are you only pumping the occasional bottle for a sitter? What sort of pump are you using, and how often are you using it? How often is baby nursing in a 24 hour period?

One thing you don't need to worry much about is your supply needing to increase for an older baby. One of the biggest differences between breastfed babies and formula-fed babies is that while formula-fed babies take larger and larger amounts of food as time goes on, breastfed babies tend to max out their need for milk at 19-30 oz per day and not take increasingly large amounts of milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As PP says, a little more info would help. However, I'll tell you about my personal experience. My LO is 8 mo and taking 4oz bottles every 2-2 1/2 hours, sometimes a little longer since she's having a snack in the morning and in the evening. I pump every two hours at work, usually for 1/2 hour. I leave the pump on at least 5 min more after I feel my breasts are empty. Then, I pump at night after the baby goes to sleep, even if I don't get much milk. That seems to help the supply for the next day, and if I do get milk, then I put in the freezer for emergencies!
    Have you try lactation cookies? I make them a lot too, and they seem to help supply as well. Here's the link to the recipe I use:

http://www.simplyrealmoms.com/posts/...-in-chocolate/

There are some vegan versions too... I'm not vegan though

Thank you ladies soooo much for the info. I work full time Monday thru Friday. She's away from me from 8am to 5:30pm. She's drinking 3 3oz bottles and 2 jars of baby food while she's with the sitter. I pump every 3 hours while at work and I used to pump at least 2 bottles which is 12 ounces by the end of the day and maybe a little more to take home and work on filling up to 6 oz but lately I'm barely making 2 and sometimes just 1 bottle with some to take home. I nurse at least twice while home before putting her to bed for the night. I only nurse off of one boob and I let the other one fill up so in the morning I can add to whatever I brought home from work tne day before. On the weekends I only nurse. During the week if I can't cover what she eats, I'll send a formula bottle

Is there any help or does it sound like I'm going to not be able to breast feed for much longer?

Your supply is regualting which is normal. 2 jars of solids seems high for a 7 month old. I would continue to send as much as you pump and solids and letting her make up for it while your together.
    The idea of not nursing on one side so it "fills up" is counterproductive. Breasts are factories not store houses. The more milk thats taken out the more you make. By not using that side your actually encouraging that side to decrease output. Do you pump first thing in the morning off one side while baby nurses off the other? How often are you pumping at work? you should aim to pump every 3 hrs at work. Have you replaced the valves on your pump recently that can help sometimes.

You don't want to let your breasts full up. Nurse on both breasts, and then pump after. And if you can, add in a nighttime pump session or, better yet, wake the baby to nurse. I know night nursing/pumping is no fun, but additional opportunities to drain the breast are always your friend when it comes to increasing supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I've tried pumping and nursing while I'm home and that didn't appear to work for my baby or myself. When I would nurse and pump right after by the time she was ready to nurse again it seemed like I didn't have enough milk for her. I try the many suggestions that are given to me but I haven't tried/heard anything that works for us yet:-(

When I would nurse and pump right after by the time she was ready to nurse again it seemed like I didn't have enough milk for her.
    This is pretty common the first few times you pump after nursing. Your body is used to making x number of oz for your nursing baby, and when you remove x + n oz by pumping after you nurse, your body doesn't necessarily ramp production up fast enough to make x oz by the next time the baby needs to nurse. The key to making pumping on top of nursing work is persistence and patience. You want to pump after nursing every day for several days, while also allowing unrestricted nursing. Yes, your baby may be extremely fussy while you're doing this, because she's going to have to work harder than usual to get her meals. But the additional stimulation of pump and extra-hungry baby should ultimately result in improved milk yield.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shaena1 View Post
    Thank you ladies soooo much for the info. I work full time Monday thru Friday. She's away from me from 8am to 5:30pm. She's drinking 3 3oz bottles and 2 jars of baby food while she's with the sitter. I pump every 3 hours while at work and I used to pump at least 2 bottles which is 12 ounces by the end of the day and maybe a little more to take home and work on filling up to 6 oz but lately I'm barely making 2 and sometimes just 1 bottle with some to take home. During the week if I can't cover what she eats, I'll send a formula bottle

Is there any help or does it sound like I'm going to not be able to breast feed for much longer?
    I work F/T and rent a hospital grade Medela Symphony pump for $65/month. Not only do I get more than I did with my PISA, it's super fast so $2 a day is a small price to pay, plus I have no formula costs and we're doing Baby Led Solids. Downside - larger, heavier and plug in only. A shoulder bag was killing me so now I carry pump, etc in a backpack and put my laptop in a small rolling attache case. Works very well.

I do also nurse overnight at her demand, both sides. I think it prob boosts my supply.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12