Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Child Lead Weaning

Default Child Lead Weaning

My daughter is currently 9 months old and breastfeeding has been amazing save a few bumps in the beginning. I just don't know where to go from here. We've done baby led weaning and she eats solids great and sometimes will go 4 or so hours before she gets fussy to nurse. If I try to make her nurse she just gets fussy and tries to climb out of my lap. Our daily routine goes as follows (If I don't force a feed): wake at 6am, nurse 630-645 (I usually have to make her but I have to before I leave for work), breakfast 730ish (usually eggs and fruit, and yogurt or toast), then she nurses before her nap around 9 (sleeps hour to hour and half), lunch 1130-12 (usually veggies, mainly beans), nurse 1ish and then to sleep 130-2 (another hour to hour and half), nurse again 4ish and dinner 530 (veggie and meat) then again to sleep at 630ish. She nurses atleast twice during the night. Her nap nursing sessions sometimes are good, sometimes are only a min or two. When she eats solids she eats, the other day she downed an entire tray of gerber ravioli. Should I just keep following her lead? By the way, she's 24 lbs, 30 inches and already walking. Thanks!

Default Re: Child Lead Weaning

What's your goal with nursing? Are you looking to continue beyond a year, or are you eager to wean? Are you worried that your child is consuming too much solid food, or too little?

I plan to let her wean, whether that be at one year or 4 I'm ok. I'm worried that she may not get enough milk. You hear over and over that the majority of their nutrition should be from solid food but every day I feel like she's dropping a little more of a feed. Thanks!

I assume you meant "the majority of their nutrition should be from breastmilk"?

I agree that your baby does seem to be tapering off in the nursing department. If you were eager to wean I might suggest you just allow it. But you are accepting of the idea that your LO might continue for some years, so I think it makes sense for you to not offer too many solids, and perhaps to keep the solids you do offer more on the fruits and veggies end of the spectrum, hopefully resulting in your LO coming to you for the fatty part of her diet. At this age she doesn't need solids but she does need milk...

I did mean breastmilk, sorry. I appreciate the suggestion of just giving fruits and veggies and will do that. I had I introduced meets and more substantial foods fearing her hemaglobin would be low and they would force iron supplements, but they haven't called about her results so I assume they were normal. If she weans at one year I'd be ok, a little sad, but ok and proud of my independent growing girl.

Another idea to increase breastmilk intake is to nurse prior to some or all 'meals.'

I know mothers whose children nurse for months and months maybe only 2-4 times a day. As your child moves into toddlerhood, they may decrease sessions down to a very low frequency but still need to nurse that little bit. The opposite happens as well and babies will nurse more often sometimes as they venture into toddlerhood and need that additional comfort. 9 months tends to be an extremely distractible time. I am surprised your baby does not like to nurse first thing in the morning, that is many baby’s favorite session and usually is one of the last to go when weaning naturally happens. I wonder if there is anything about mornings that can be changed to encourage nursing?

I like this article "10 tips to breastfeeding for a year" of course the ideas work beyond a year as well. http://www.llli.org/nb/nbjanfeb06p4.html

As for the nursing first thing in the morning, we used to but when I started back to work it kind of became hard b/c she woke around 6 and I left at 7 and didn't get to pump until at least 10. Now that I'm more confident with pumping and such, it would be a good idea to get back to that first thing in the morning nurse ...

But now we have another problem /

We've had the same bedtime routine for months and it's been great, bed around 6:30-7, nurse 3 times during the night, and wake at 6. For the last few days, she's been nursing almost every 2 hours all night long and waking at 4:30a. Ugh, exhausted here. I don't mind feeding her all night, but I can't figure out why she's waking. She takes 2 1-1.5 hr naps a day and still goes to bed fine. Help. IS this b/c she's walking or teething or what?

Thanks!

Could be teething. It also could be walking if it's a skill she just learned. They tend to wake a lot at night when they are making those major transitions with brand new skills. Almost like they want to get up and practice at night. Either way, it will pass, I promise.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous