Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight gain questions

Default weight gain questions

hi:
    i took my son for his 9 month check up and he dropped in weight %. doc says he needs to start eating more solids. but it is hard to get him to eat solids. he isnt nursing as much either (a few times a day but pulls himself off when he is done.) i have to bring him back in 6 weeks for a weight check. obviously im concerned.
    any thoughts?

Default Re: weight gain questions

It's very normal for breastfed babies to drop percentiles in the second half of the first year, as they devote increasing amounts of calories to action (rolling, crawling, cruising, walking, etc.) and pack fewer on as fat. And until around a year, breastmilk alone is capable of meeting all a baby's nutritional needs, provided the baby is allowed to nurse on demand. Until around a year, solids are not necessary for nutrition; they are only for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills.

Can you give us a complete weight history on your baby, and give us an idea of how often he nurses in an average day?

he was 7 lbs 15 oz at birth. now he is 19 lbs 11 oz. i think it is like 10th% or something. i think at 6 months he was just shy of 17 lbs. 7 oz. he was 27 1/4 inch at 6 months and 29 1/4 inch at 9 months.

There's nothing wrong with being in the 10th percentile. Healthy babies come in all shapes and sizes, and statistically speaking there are just as many healthy babies in the 10th percentile as there are in the 90th. Also, according to this chart: http://kellymom.com/images/growth/growthcharts.gif your baby is actually above the 10th percentile, closer to the 25th. It's possible- even probable- that your pediatrician is measuring your baby using the old charts developed using data from formula-fed infants, who tend to gain relatively more weight in the second half of their first year than their breastfed peers.

I don't see any reason for you to worry, or to push solids. Just keep nursing as much as possible.