Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight gain freak out!

Default Re: Weight gain freak out!

My LC is an IBCLC. Dh looked online for IBCLCs and she's the only one listed for our area acc. to the link he went to...and she is two counties away! Yes, she is at the hospital and she is a nurse. And as soon as I agreed he may need some formula, she hasn't asked to schedule any follow up. Did I just find the worst IBCLC there is? She didn't even know about the LLL group that meets in that same town (the nearest LLL to me, again, it's 2 counties away--1hr 40min from home).

And I looked at the WHO weight for age charts and now I am freaked out! At birth LO was on the chart above the 15th percentile--3.1kg or 6lbs 14oz. At 1mo he dropped way below the 3rd percentile--3.6kg or 7lbs 15oz. He should have weighed around 5kg or 11lbs to stay at the 15th percentile. Today he is 12wks old, he should be 5.5kg or 12lbs 2oz, but he's just 3.8kg or 8lbs 8.6oz.

So now I'm freaking, because I feel like I've tried my heart out to increase supply. I've given fenugreek plus pumping after feeds, plus increased frequency of nursing a 2 wk chance! He has 6-9wet diapers and 1-3 poopy ones each day.

If I give him formula, and I'm starting to feel like I have to in order to help him grow, if I give him formula supplements I feel like it's a death sentence to ever increasing my supply! If I can't increase my supply without supplement how could I ever do it with supplement?!

I would love to have some LLL support locally, but it's so far away. I may give the group leader a phone call anyway, even if I can't make meetings.

Speaking generally, If your pediatrician is not freaking out, you probably don't need to be.

I am trying to figure out if this is suspected milk transfer issue or low production issue. or both?

Is latch or nursing still painful? How long does baby nurse generally, and do you switch sides each feeding? switch nursing -switching sides at least once and even frequently during a feeding, is an often effective milk production increasing tip.

What happens if you chart without the birth weight, or using lowest known weight as birth weight? Just curious. Birth weight is so often inflated that there are some lactation professionals that think weight checks to measure gain should start at 24 hour old weight, not birth weight. Also, birth weight is usually on a delivery room scale that is never used again for that baby. Unfortunately, using different scales does sometimes cause pretty dramatic inaccuracies with weight checks. As does plain old human error.

The output sounds normal and your baby is otherwise growing normally-length and head circ-is that correct?

If you can encourage baby to nurse more often, then I do suggest, nurse more often. It can't possibly hurt and may very well help. nursing more often should not only increase milk transfer totals, it will help increase milk production, probably better than pumping does. If there is a low milk production issue, it may take a little time to rebuild that. There is no maximum a three month old should be nursing- My 5 month old still nurses at least 10 times a day, often more. If you up nursing sessions, don't up pumping sessions as well. In fact if baby will nurse more often, and can nurse effectively, you might be able to pump less. in any case, You want to try to find a balance that will work for you.

PP have mentioned this, but please don't think that if you have to supplement that is death to increasing production. Yes it can get tricky. But as long as you are only giving the amount of supplementation baby needs, and not more, and pumping to 'offset' the supplements (as much as you can-again, balance) then it need not be an issue. Many mothers with low milk production combine nursing with needed supplementing.

It sounds like you are far from any support. That is too bad! But yes I do encourage you to call any LLL leader who may know more about your area.
    Also, I strongly suggest you read these books- Making More Milk and The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition) These will give you tons of information about how to navigate this situation. You know yourself and your own baby better than anyone else, so given a good grounding in the facts, you may come up with a plan that will work better for you than anyone else will.

Also, is there any way you can feel comfortable not doing before and after nursing weight checks every session? That can cause a ton of stress. Maybe instead, just weigh baby once or twice a week?

It is normal for intake to vary session to session, and normal for weight gain to be different day to day. So very frequent weighing can drain a mom's energy via stress. Just a thought.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; January 18th, 2013 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Speaking generally, If your pediatrician is not freaking out, you probably don't need to be.

I am trying to figure out if this is suspected milk transfer issue or low production issue. or both?

Is latch or nursing still painful? How long does baby nurse generally, and do you switch sides each feeding? switch nursing -switching sides at least once and even frequently during a feeding, is an often effective milk production increasing tip.

What happens if you chart without the birth weight, or using lowest known weight as birth weight? Just curious. Birth weight is so often inflated that there are some lactation professionals that think weight checks to measure gain should start at 24 hour old weight, not birth weight. Also, birth weight is usually on a delivery room scale that is never used again for that baby. Unfortunately, using different scales does sometimes cause pretty dramatic inaccuracies with weight checks. As does plain old human error.

The output sounds normal and your baby is otherwise growing normally-length and head circ-is that correct?

If you can encourage baby to nurse more often, then I do suggest, nurse more often. It can't possibly hurt and may very well help. nursing more often should not only increase milk transfer totals, it will help increase milk production, probably better than pumping does. If there is a low milk production issue, it may take a little time to rebuild that. There is no maximum a three month old should be nursing- My 5 month old still nurses at least 10 times a day, often more. If you up nursing sessions, don't up pumping sessions as well. In fact if baby will nurse more often, and can nurse effectively, you might be able to pump less. in any case, You want to try to find a balance that will work for you.

PP have mentioned this, but please don't think that if you have to supplement that is death to increasing production. Yes it can get tricky. But as long as you are only giving the amount of supplementation baby needs, and not more, and pumping to 'offset' the supplements (as much as you can-again, balance) then it need not be an issue. Many mothers with low milk production combine nursing with needed supplementing.

It sounds like you are far from any support. That is too bad! But yes I do encourage you to call any LLL leader who may know more about your area.
    Also, I strongly suggest you read these books- Making More Milk and The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition) These will give you tons of information about how to navigate this situation. You know yourself and your own baby better than anyone else, so given a good grounding in the facts, you may come up with a plan that will work better for you than anyone else will.

Also, is there any way you can feel comfortable not doing before and after nursing weight checks every session? That can cause a ton of stress. Maybe instead, just weigh baby once or twice a week?

It is normal for intake to vary session to session, and normal for weight gain to be different day to day. So very frequent weighing can drain a mom's energy via stress. Just a thought.
    After reading Dr Gordon's article "Look at the Baby not the Scale" and talking to some breastfeeding mom friends, I've decided to take your advice and others' to heart! I'm not going to freak out! I've quit weighing so frequently. I'm not as religious about pumping (but I have a question about that). And I'm almost instantly more relaxed and happy! Yesterday I didn't weigh to see how much he was getting but I'm certain I was producing more: I felt that full tingling feeling again before he nursed and I heard and saw him swallowing for longer at most feedings!!

About the pumping: if I decrease pumping slowly or all at once, will that cause my supply yo drop again as that extra stimulation is lacking?? I don't necessarily want an oversupply, but right now I feel like we're not yet to a good breaking even point: we still have several nursing sessions where he'll pull at my nipple and push on my breast once the let down is done and the milk is "gone." To me it seems like he wants more and would eat more if it were there. A that point, I'll usually switch sides (again, maybe), but I only can take that kind of nipple abuse for a little while before we have to call it quilts. He's fairly fine with that and he just usually asks to eat a little sooner the next time. So what's a good balance and what should I do about the pumping?

Yes, I'm still having nipple pain and ductal yeast pain as well.

You should be stimulatimg your breasts 10-12 times in a 24hour period of time. If that is all done by the baby at the breast, no need to pump any more. IF you are bringing him to the breast less than that, then you you need to pump to make up the difference.

Way too lazy for formula