Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much is too much spit up??

Default How much is too much spit up??

After seeing a post on spitting up, I thought I would ask this... Last night my infant spit up after feeding and burping. The first "hick" brought back some milk, undigested. The 2nd hick was bigger and brought up at least 2 to 4 ounces of fluid. It was a light orange color, not white like the first one...
    Tonight he did the same thing, except it was more like a pale yellow color. He acted hungry and continued on with the feeding, with no spit up. He is now rooting again after only an hour!!

That seems like an awful lot of spit up to me! I called the doctor earlier about the episode last night, but their concern was with the color, not the amount. Now I am concerned that this is too much to spit up!

TIA

Default Re: How much is too much spit up??

this is something you should definately address to your doctor. Sometimes it really seems like a Lot of spit-up when in fact it's only about a tablespoon of fluid. If I spill a 2-4 ounce bottle...thats a LOT of fluid. I would be concerned if my DS spit up that much...that would be more like "throw-up", then spit-up.
    The colour is also troubling...is it like a bile colour? Is it projectile? I know we talked about waking a baby with jaundice to feed him, and sometimes that can result in spitting up, if they were not hungry in the first place. Sorry I cant offer more input...but I would mention it to his dr, especially if it keeps happening.
    Keep in mind that most, if not all, babies spit up at some point. If they are too full or swallowed too much air, or if they have acid reflux. But it should be the colour of your milk...may or may not be curdled...and I really dont think it should be 4 ounces, that would be almost the whole feed.
    So yah...talk to the dr...thats what I would do. Good luck.