Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10week old slump

Default 10week old slump

So my DD is 10 weeks old and I have been back at work since she's been 6 weeks. My mom watches her for me and my daughter seems to be eating every 2 hrs 4-5 oz a clip. I'm beginning to worry because I'm pumping at work and my supply is not catching up with my daughter. I'm running out of my BM. My pumping session are decreasing supply. I'm don't want to worry because I know that it can affect my supply. What can I do to increase my supply again? I'm afraid that I may need to start introducing formula so that I don't starve my LO. Don't want to go that route. I'm desperate' please help!

Default Re: 10week old slump

Your mom is overfeeding your baby. Should be 1-1.5 ounces/hour, your baby is getting 2 - 2.5 ounces/hour! So no surprise that you are not keeping up, because that is not a physiological amount of milk for your body to make. If baby is eating every 2 hours, start with a 2 oz bottle, THEN offer a 1 oz topper ONLY if she is still hungry. Here are some links with helpful information on bottle-feeding a breastfed baby that you might want to go over with your mom:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/e...reastfed-baby/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

Note that just because a baby WILL eat a 5 oz bottle every 2 hours does not mean she NEEDS that much. Babies like to suck so if they have a nipple, they will suck on it. Talk to your mom about other ways to soothe your daughter if she is being fussy. Having her in a sling, walking with her, rocking, having her in a swing, engaging her by singing or talking to her etc. There are two downsides to overfeeding: 1) It's impossible for you to keep up with pumping; 2) Baby is eating more during the day with grandma, therefore she's less hungry when she's with you and nursing less, thereby decreasing the stimulus to your breasts to make more milk.
    And just to make sure there are no issues on your end: how often are you pumping, for how long, and how much milk are you bringing home each day?

Thanks for your prompt response. I am away from her from 8-4. Pumping 3-4 times while away from her. Lately it's been 8-10 oz total. Also, she is sleeping through the night, 10/1030-4:30/5:00 a night. Can that also be affecting supply?

Oh also pumping 10 min each time

Okay, so your pumping frequency is good, but a little bit on the short side - 15-20 minutes would be a more typical pumping time for most moms, and some need even longer. Although you are getting at least 1 ounce/hour which again, is a more reasonable expectation than 2 ounces/hour, but you might be able to up it a bit by pumping for a little longer each time - I think if you could get the overfeeding under control and pump just a little longer you could easily keep up! Nighttime nursing definitely helps maintain supply, and you're getting a 6-7 hour stretch which is on the long side for a 10 week-old (possibly because she's eating so much during the day?), so you could consider doing a dream feed during that time and see if that helps.