Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleepy nurser

Default Sleepy nurser

Dd is 3 weeks old and keeps falling asleep at feeding. I tried everything from stroking, burping to keep her awake but can only last for several Minutes. This causes her to be hungry often because she doesn't take full feed. Also she is getting into habit of nursing to sleep, which seems like the only way she would fall asleep. The minute we put her in the crib she wakes up. I'm concern she is not gaining enough weight. She was 6lb 12oz at birth, lost 9% at hospital and back to birth weight by 2 week doctor appointment.

Default Re: Sleepy nurser

Welcome to the forum!

Aside from the sleepiness, nothing you posted sounds like a huge problem to me. Baby was back at birthweight by 2 weeks, and that's what you're looking for. As long as she is nursing on demand and having sufficient wet/poopy diapers, she should be able to gain sufficient weight. There's no reason to expect a 3 week-old baby to get to sleep any way other than nursing- she is way, way, waaaay too young for you to even start thinking about getting her to sleep without the breast! Ad frequent feedings are normal, especially for young babies. Infant tummies are tiny and breastmilk digests fast, which means that new babies tend to nurse every 1-3 hours or even more frequently.

Some things to try to combat the sleepiness:
    - Keep her cool; cool babies are more alert than warm, cozy ones. Strip her down to a diaper or onesie when it's time to nurse, and keep a fan blowing in the room where you nurse (but not directly on the baby).
    - Annoy her; an annoyed baby is usually more alert. Tickle the soles of her feet or rub agains the grain of her hair using your hand or a cool damp washrag.
    - Keep the light dim in the room where you nurse, since new babies often close their eyes in response to bright light.
    - Try switch nursing. Whenever baby's suckling slows and she seems to be drifting off to sleep, take her off the breast, burp her or change her diaper, and then switch her to the other side. Switch as often as necessary, until baby will no longer wake. Switch nursing is excellent for supply and for baby's total milk intake!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My concern now is that my supply is low and the slow milk output is causing her to sleep at the breast. A few days ago I was able to get her to drink at the breast for 6-8 mins each breast. But now she will only suck for 2-3 mins most even if she is not fully asleep. She will keep pacifying but with no attempt at sucking. I am now starting to take fenugreek and pumping after each session. Supplementing her with expressed bmilk. I am only able to get less than 1/2 oz and that's combined from both breast. Good thing I have just a tiny bit freezer stock to help but if my supply does not increase within a day or two I might be in trouble.

I agree with keep trying, as she gets a little older she won't be as sleepy. I would tickle under my sons chin close to his jaw and that would cause him to suck even if he was half asleep. A cool wash cloth also works well to help baby wake up a little more.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

How's her diaper output?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

She has atleast 9-10 wet diapers and 4 poop diapers per day. Although I don't have a baby scale at home I'm pretty sure she is not gaining close to 1oz per day since last weigh in.

I also want to mention that when I'm pumping it takes less than 1-2 minutes to get a let down. But my let down last for less than minute and then the milk starts to dribble really slowly and eventually stop. I will continue to pump 5 mins after that, stop and massage my breast some more. Im able to get a second let down after resting for a few minutes but same thing again, let down last less than a minute and produce very little. This is why I think my milk output is really slow.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shuzbabe View Post
    I also want to mention that when I'm pumping it takes less than 1-2 minutes to get a let down. But my let down last for less than minute and then the milk starts to dribble really slowly and eventually stop. I will continue to pump 5 mins after that, stop and massage my breast some more. Im able to get a second let down after resting for a few minutes but same thing again, let down last less than a minute and produce very little. This is why I think my milk output is really slow.
    That actually is a description of a completely normal pumping experience. Most moms will have a letdown, then a trickle or drops, and if they keep pumping, they will get a second, maybe even a third letdown. But you should not expect to see a constant flow of milk. You're not a machine!

If you're getting 9-10 wet and 4 poop diapers per day without supplementing, then I doubt you have a supply problem. What color are the poops?

I agree, that pumping sounds totally normal. And your output is pretty good too if you are pumping in addition to nursing. I think you might be over-thinking this, mama. Try to relax. Maybe even put the pump and bottles aside for a day or two and try JUST nursing. All day. As often as baby wants. See how many diapers that gets you. As long as baby has 5-6 wets per day, they are getting enough milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

How come I am only able to get less than 1/2 oz with both breast combined with each pumping session? And that is with 2 let downs. And one time I skipped a nursing session to just pump(gave dd ebm) and pump less than 1 oz.
    Poop are normal seedy and mustard color.