Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Giving Up

Default Giving Up

I feel ready to give up. I love BFing, but it has been one hurdle after another. My LO is 7 mos and is at the 50% mark for weight and height.

My LO was sick 3 weeks ago and wouldn't nurse due to congestion. I was pumping and bottle feeding for a week. He started nursing again, but by then my supply was low and he wouldn't feed. I've increased my water intake, taking Fenugreek and Mother's Milk tea. I'm pumping every 3hrs at work and at home. I'm still offering the breast before I pump and any other time I can, but he nurses very few times and it's not a very strong suck when he does nurse.

I'm so frustrated and tired with offering the breast for 20-30 mins without any results, then having to pump, then bottle feed. LO was sick again over the weekend with a stomach bug which isn't helping anything.

My milk supply won't pick up. I get no indication from my LO that he wants to nurse. I've cried over this decision several times. I think I'm ready to give up.

Default Re: Giving Up

Oh mamat, don't give up! It's really hard when baby is sick and congested - sounds like you really haven't caught a break in a while, winter can be so hard. But there's a really good chance once baby feels better and gets your supply back up you'll get back into a good nursing routine. In the meantime I know it's hard but you're doing the right thing by offering to nurse and then pumping. How long are you pumping for at work? While you are trying to get your supply back up you might try to extend your pumping sessions at work if you can, even if you're "pumping dry." (You could also try lengthening your home sessions, but that might be harder to do while you're taking care of LO at the same time). Hang in there!

Don't give up. I am confused as to what the problem is. You clearly ARE making enough milk...is the issue that he now prefers how easy bottle feeding is? Did you have his ears checked when you went to the doctor? Ear pain will keep a baby from nursing effectively.

Way too lazy for formula

I pump for 20mins at work. Just barely getting 4oz. I used to get 5-7 oz in a 10min pumping session. I feel like I'm not making enough milk because of my lower than normal pumping output and the fact that he refuses to nurse even after he was beginning to feel better. It seemed he was refusing to nurse b/c I wasn't making as much milk and he had to work harder than normal to get what I did have.

I didn't even feel full in the mornings for the past 2 weeks. I'm starting to have more output in the morning and yesterday my pumping output increased .5 oz during each session. Maybe I'm on the up side of this.

He doesn't take much from a bottle and since he wasn't nursing much either, I was worried he wasn't getting enough fluids. He hasn't gained any weight in the past month, maybe it's just due to being sick.....We were at the doctor on Monday. He had some congestion in his ear, but no infection.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm still BFing & pumping when needed, but I'm really burnt out on all this pumping and trying to convince my LO, "yes, you want the boob. you like the boob. please take the boob."

5-7 ounces in 10 minutes is A LOT, 4 ounces is really typical for a lot of moms (and some would love to get 4 ounces!). And it's normal to not feel full as your supply regulates to baby's demands. It may be that you had an oversupply before and now your supply is actually better regulated.
    My LO went on a brief nursing strike when she was congested from a cold. I read through the kelly mom info on breast refusal and I had to keep reminding myself to be relaxed when approaching her with the breast, even though I did not FEEL at all relaxed about the situation! Babies can pick up on stress, and stress can inhibit letdown - so I know it's hard but I think it does help to be casual when offering the breast. Do have better luck getting him to nurse at night?

Yeah. 4oz is still MORE than he would ever get at your breast directly. So I think your output fine. I think you were overproducing and your body is adjusting. I also think the older they get the more efficiently they nurse. So at 7months he can spend 5minutes on the breast end empty it. FYI most babies only usually get 2-3oz per feeding. So you are seriously making enough. And don't get burnt out on pumping. You are only doing it during the day while you work when your child would normally be nursing. 20 minutes a day to maintain your supply and continue to give your child the maximum health benefits of you milk is NOTHING in terms of long term investment you are making Mama. Keep at it. You will never be sorry you stuck with it.

Way too lazy for formula

I have felt ready to give up on BF since my LO came home with me, for different reasons than yours but reasons all the same. I am so glad I haven't given up. It's still hard and I cry a lot over it, but if I gave up I know I would regret it. You are obviously strong, to keep going this long with the hurdles you have faced so keep going some more! When you succeed you will feel great!

Thanks everyone. It is getting better. I would've given up a long time ago if it weren't for LLL.

I hope things get better for you, haleysmum.