Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oh the pain!

Default Oh the pain!

Okay, so my LO is 7 1/2 weeks. He seems to finally be getting the hang of latching and breastfeeding. Well, on the left side. He opens super wide and latches on and doesn't hurt me when he nurses on the left side.. The right side however, he doesn't seem to open as wide for (he nurses fine as far as sucking).. But he doesn't get the best latch and it's getting painful on that side.. Painful when he nurses and now my breast hurts, but above the aereola.. Can it be a clogged duct? It feels tight in one little spot, and it's a constant pain. It hurts to reach for things on my right side (I think because of the tightness feeling).

Any recommendations? Or should I just go see my doctor?

Thanks for the help!
    Jaime

Default Re: Oh the pain!

Hi there-

I am so sorry you are having a difficult time. It is difficult to say what this over the internet. Even then, I'm not a doctor of course. It sounds like it could be a latch issue on that side. Your baby might not be draining it properly and therefore you may have gotten further complications. Its just a guess though. I would recommend that if you are still experiencing pain, you try to connect with a LLL leader (even by a phone call) if there is one in your area. Or try to find a IBCLC (lactation consultant) if you can't find a LLL leader...but I here those cost money in some places. Seeing a doctor might help, but some doctors aren't as trained as they could be in breastfeeding issues. I would see a LLL leader first if you can and go from there. I hope this helps and that you are feeling better soon.

Massage it gently while the baby is feeding. That should help clear a clogged duct. But still see a LLL leader, like the pp said so she can help w/ your latch!
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Oh one more thing- I was told by someone once to try positioning the baby so their nose is pointing to the location of the plugged duct. That might mean a new nursing position. It never seemed to help me, but it MAY be worth a try (the baby apparently would help suck out the plug). That is, if you can manage another position...I know in the early days its hard to figure out all the positioning. I was also told it sometimes helps to change positions in general. Like going from a cradle hold to football hold, or to side-lying, etc. If you can do that, it may be worth a try. Hang in there.

It sounds like a plugged duct. Some mothers find it helpful to point the baby's nose toward the clog, others find it helpful to point the baby's chin toward the clog. Moist heat and massage can help. Nursing and pumping frequently on that side, too.

If you get flu-like symptoms or fever, you need to get ahold of a doctor and ask about mastitis.

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!