Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and the flu virus...

Default Breastfeeding and the flu virus...

I work in healthcare, and on Monday was diagnosed with the flu. Type A. I am currently breastfeeding, and pumping while at work. Our 11 week old yesterday woke up with matted eyes, and some coughing. We co-sleep at night some, so I know he has been exposed to the virus. Our pediatrician called in Tamiflu for both of us.

I just wanted to know ehat everyones's thoughts were about nursing while being sick. Also what to watch out for in the baby.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks
    Love my children!!

DTD-Saylee, and Chloee 12/04

DS-Cage 05/10

DS-Taft 10/12

Sweet, smokin' hot hubby! -Moody 07/02

Default Re: Breastfeeding and the flu virus...

Sorry to hear you're both sick, mama . I would hang out with baby in bed, make sure you get plenty of fluids, and make the breast available to baby as much as possible. Tepid baths and tylenol for fever. If his nose is stuffed up, you can try dropping breastmilk in the nose with a dropper, and/or humidifier. Hope you feel better soon!

I just wanted to know ehat everyones's thoughts were about nursing while being sick.
    It's really good if you are breastfeeding when baby or mom is sick. For many reasons-I think these articles cover it pretty well. http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../baby-illness/

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...y/mom-illness/

I am not sure what you mean what to watch out for? Do you mean from the flu or the treatment?

I have to admit I know nothing about Tamiflu at all. I'm am a little surprised it would be prescribed for an infant that young, but like I say, it's just not something I know anything about.

Tamiflu is FDA-approved for infants over 2 weeks old, and CDC recommendations are that children under 2 receive tamiflu for influenza, of course taking into account clinical considerations and parent preference.

Keep nursing. It is the best thing for a sick baby! It'll keep him well hydrated, and provide antibodies against the virus that you're fighting. I hope you both feel well soon!
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

thanks for the info on tamiflu, bfwmomof3. Hope you guys are doing ok mom24smit!

Get well soon, mama! I have always found the BFing is SO GREAT when either I and/or baby are sick. If he is sick, he loves the comfort of cuddling with mama and nursing provides him with good antibodies to fight the infection, nutrition when he isn't eating solids well (after 6 months), and helps keep him hydrated. When I am sick the last thing I'd want to do is have to get out bed and fix food or make up a bottle or something. When I am not feeling well, we take a huge stack of books back to the bedroom, we snuggle in and cuddle, nurse and read. It not exactly sleeping, which is what I did before baby, but it's the most restful way with a baby! We cosleep, so our mattress is on the floor, and the room is safe, so he can also crawl around if he gets bored reading (I know your LO isn't there yet, but something for the future!).

Anyway, take care!

Just an update. The baby did very well! I think we are over it now. It has went through our whole family. The baby got a stuffy nose, ran a little temp, had a cough, but nothing to bad. Nursing definately is so much better for baby! I appreciate everyone's support!!
    Love my children!!

DTD-Saylee, and Chloee 12/04

DS-Cage 05/10

DS-Taft 10/12

Sweet, smokin' hot hubby! -Moody 07/02

Glad you're all feeling better! Thanks for the update. It's always nice to hear how things turned out.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous