Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to WEAN! HELP!!

Default I want to WEAN! HELP!!

I'm posting in the 12+ and up thread because my son is a few weeks shy of a year. I have battled with oversupply since he was born; which has lead to 6 cases of mastitis. We got thrush about 4 or 5 months ago, and he has not nursed during the day since. I have been pumping 4-5x's a day just to get relief. I was waking up to nurse him through the night, but I have recently stopped that. (He was using me as a night time paci, rather than eating. It was causing my breasts to fill up, and he wasn't emptying them).

I am needing help! I'm ready to wean. Nathan has weaned himself. I'm ready to wean from the pump! I DON'T KNOW HOW THOUGH!!! If I g through the night without feeding Nathan, or waking up to pump... My breast are literally 4x's the size in the morning and are like play-doh- they are hard, and lumpy, (borderline clogged ducts). We I wake up, I have to rush to get my son in the highchair, and RUN to get the pump; otherwise I'm leaking everywhere. My left side produces a normal amount- one bottle at a pump session in the a.m.... my right side on the other hand- If I go all night without pumping or feeding, it can pump 2 6ox bottles... that's just to get RELIEF. I could pump more if I wanted!

I have totally cut night feeding out, but I am wanting to wean the pumping sessions during the day too! I hate having to jump out of bed just to pump. I hate having to wash the stuff, I hate having to pump before I go anywhere, I hate having to pump before I can even go to bed at night.

ALSO!! When I get weaned and run out of the 600+ oz of milk I have frozen.. what is the best type of milk to begin a breastfed baby on? Almond? Soy? Cows?
    I'm desperate, I'm ready... Advice please!!
    Mama to Nathan Ryan Meehan

8lbs 5oz at birth

Born naturally after 4 hours of labor
    Exclusively for 7 months!!! Been stuck to the for almost 5 months!

Default Re: I want to WEAN! HELP!!

Check out this link - it will explain how to wean from the pump safely and comfortably:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...ing-from-pump/

Good luck!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Cabbage leaves usually help if you want it to happen more quickly. Put them directly into your bra.

Way too lazy for formula

If I g through the night without feeding Nathan, or waking up to pump... My breast are literally 4x's the size in the morning and are like play-doh- they are hard, and lumpy, (borderline clogged ducts).
    This sounds like extreme overproduction. Unusual for this to be going on at this age. If the kellymom suggestions and cabbage leaves don't help, I would suggest, seek the advice of an IBCLC.

There is a protocol for extreme overproduction called 'Full Drainage and Block Feeding,' that might help. Like most block feeding suggestions, the assumption is mother is still nursing, not that baby has already weaned and mom is trying to wean from the pump. However, I don't see why it could not be adjusted for your situation. But I really don;t know for sure if this would be a good idea for you or not. I strongly suggest seeking the input of an IBCLC.

Thanks ladies! I have tried the cabbage leaves, they really don't help. A lactation consultant at my hospital said to try peppermint. I'm just at a total loss of what to do.

8lbs 5oz at birth

Hi, you have my greatest sympathies! Apparently sage is a milk-inhibitor. Good luck!

Nothing I've tried is working. I've tried decreasing the amount of time I pump, Ive tried cabbage, I've tried expressing. I just woke up to my right breast in so much pain and engorgement that I had to pump. I got 14 oz out of that side ALONE! I don't know what to do.

8lbs 5oz at birth

I'd call the lactation consultant back and tell her all of that. This is an extreme case. It's not normal and you need help dealing with it. If she won't or can't help you, call your doctor. I believe there are medications that can be prescribed to help dry up milk. If you continue like this you are at risk of developing mastitis again.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

bump

8lbs 5oz at birth

Here's an interesting study about pseudoephedrine (in a lot of cold meds) significantly reducing milk production
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1884328/