Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We're almost there!!!

Default We're almost there!!!

After a rocky start my DD and I have almost made it to a year. She will be one on the 22nd and still nurses very well. She loves to eat, and she will drink somethings out of her sippy, or a regular glass if I help her. But she won't drink milk. Tea, juice, kool-aid, smoothies, but she shows no interest in milk or soy milk.

Like I said she is almost one and I know I'm not supposed to start giving her milk til then but we have been trying to get her interested in a sippy cup. I have no intention of ewaning her right now, but I do want to start leaving her with family so that my husband and I can do things together, or even letting him take her for a couple hours so I can get school work done.

She nurses at most of her naps and bedtime, we also co-sleep so she is up a couple of times to nurse although we usually sleep through it. I don't know if she will keep at it but the past two nights she was fussy while nursing so I refused to let her have it back and just held her and she fell fast asleep.

My biggest concern is how often she needs to nurse to make sure she is getting what she needs. I don't want to cut her down to where she isn't getting what she needs. I haven't spoken to our pediatrician yet, but apparently his son self-weaned before a year, 6-9 months. So I'm not entirely sure what his stand on it is.

Also I started my period back in November, and then I had one in December, both full normal periods with cramps and all. But now I'm about 4 days late and I think that I'm rather regular, especially with the symptoms that start about one week before I start, I haven't had any of them. (I have been having this pain across the center of my back, I don't know if that could be related to anything.) Anyone with any thoughts TIA!
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: We're almost there!!!

The good news is that you can keep nursing her as often as she/you want! You don't have to cut back if you don't want to.

If you do want to start introducing limits on how often or how long you nurse, you can. Most baby-mom pairs do best if that happens gradually, with one nursing session at a time.

You don't have to give her any milk, soy milk, cow milk, or anything, if you're still nursing.

As for your doctor's opinion, I would just suggest to understand that sometimes doctors give parents parenting advice that comes across as medical advice, even though it's not -- in fact, it may even contradict statements made by the American Academy of Pediatrics. And your doctor may have little or no experience with patients that have been nursed beyond a year. He might not be up on the latest recommendations for breastfed one-year-olds.

With your missed period, could you be pregnant?

Default Re: We're almost there!!!

My doctor hasn't said anything to me about what he thinks should be done, he had just mentioned that his son weaned himself before his first birthday. Our doctor is usuallly very easy going and understanding/accepting of different parenting styles, and if he's not then he puts on a good show

DD3 nurses on demand, she can go from nursing on and off all day long, to only nursing 1 or 2 times and leaving me engorged even when I tried offering.

Is there a point where they wouldn't be nursing enough to get what they need?

As to being pregnant, (sorry in advance if TMI ) we arent very active, no birth control, he pulls out to try to keep me from becoming pregnant. But I still have no period, and a negative pregnancy test. I would be happy if I were
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still