Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: please clue me in about water

Default please clue me in about water

I've been offering my 8 month old a sip of water here and there now that she's having solids. She goes NUTS for it. I don't give her more than a small sip or two once or twice a day.

She obviously relies on me to hold the cup and tip it toward her to drink. I don't mind doing it this way but I like to give her the opportunity to feed herself and it would be great if she could take a drink by herself too.

I bought a sippy cup for her. It is the kind with the valve that requires suction. I'll put an ounce of water in it and give it to her. She likes to hold it and throw it on the floor but as far as I can tell she hasn't gotten any water out of it.

Is she old enough for this? Is there a different style of sippy cup I should try? Maybe sippy cups are not the way to go? Is water even OK? How much? Feeling clueless here! Thanks

Default Re: please clue me in about water

Yes, she's old enough for a sippy. It's more of a toy than anything else at this point. As long as you're nursing on demand, breastmilk is probably more than enough to meet her fluid requirements. Put an oz or two of water in a sippy and give it to her with meals. Eventually she'll figure out what to do with it.

This is a great cup for beginning sippy users: http://www.booninc.com/products/Fluid
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Between 8 & 9 months old I taught DJ how to drink water out of a straw. And then he would drink water out of a straw only at meal times. Because I wanted him to get used to drinking water with meals. I didn't give him a clean kanteen to drink out if until I wasn't available to nurse on demand. Which was at 14months. Then he had access to a sippy with water all day with his solids until we were together and when together we nursed on demand. But still left a cup with water at the table with a straw in it for dinner or other meals. Which is still how he drinks his dinner water today.

Way too lazy for formula

Before the year point it's like solids. It's for experimentation and exploration but you don't want it to ever be enough to interfere with nursing.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you!