Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help! At my wits end - Pumping hurts so much!!

Default Please help! At my wits end - Pumping hurts so much!!

Hi everyone! I am new mom to a 3 week old son and have met a lot of challenges trying to breast feed. I have been pumping with a hospital rented Medela pump (bc my milk had not come in) and was pumping 8 times a day for the first two weeks. Now, the plastic breast shields hurt my breasts around the aerola. The pain has gotten unbearable. I put the settings really low trying to see if it would make it better but because they are already sore, it still hurts. I've been trying to pump less so I keep getting engorged and have been running fevers on and off. Does anyone have any suggestions to a different pump? Does any of the soft silicon pumps work better? Even if its a manual...at this point I'm willing to try anything.

Default Re: Please help! At my wits end - Pumping hurts so much!!

Do you have an appropriately sized breast shield? I used standard shields in the beginning, and had lots of pain a few weeks later every time I pumped. I really needed a smaller shield--too much of my breast was being sucked into it, causing the pain. Pumping with a shield that is too small can also cause pumping pain. If your nipples are rubbing against the side of the shield, it is probably too small.

I think the fact that you're running a fever and engorged is cause for concern. It sounds like you're developing mastitis, and might want to consider seeing your HCP about it.

Can I ask why you're still pumping? Is your LO having latch issues? I know you mentioned challenges: if you can elaborate, maybe the mamas here can offer some help

I agree that engorged plus fevers may be a breast infection (mastitis) that a doctor should help with.

I also agree -- maybe we can give ideas for getting back on breast!

The place where you rented your pump may have a qualified person to make sure the flanges fit you!

Sorry you're having trouble, mama. Breastfeeding a newborn can certainly present challenges, but at 3 weeks it is definitely still possible to get that baby back to the breast. What problems were you having?

I agree with the pump shield not being the right size for you so I would have a look and see if you plan to continue pumping, if you can get a size that's more appropriate.

And I would talk to your midwife or doctor about the pain and fevers, ASAP. That is not a good sign. Fevers + engorgement definitely sounds like possible mastitis, and the sooner you deal with that the better.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Pumping hurting like that is a sign something is seriously wrong-either with the pump or your health. Yes it could just be the flange size, but if you are ill, I think things have progressed to the point you need hands on help. I suggest you see a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) without delay. Your doctor can prescribe anticiotics for the mastitis, but you need someone very knowledgable about breastfeeding to help you figure out what is going on here.
    I am confused if you are exclusively pumping or nursing AND pumping?
    Anyway, in the meantime, the milk has to get out of your breasts somehow, and frequently- expressions should happen at least 8 to 10 times a day. If baby cannot nurse it out, and you cannot pump it out, you have to do something else. Have you tried hand expression? http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

find an ibclc http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432