Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amount of milk/dairy with extended breastfeeding

Default Re: Amount of milk/dairy with extended breastfeeding

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    My pediatrician totally scolded me for giving DD2 eggs prior to a year.
    Hmm we just started seeing a new Ped as we recently relocated and she thinks my 6 month old DD should sleep in a crib, eat baby food from a jar, get vitamins from the store, have more immunizations and self-soothe aka cry it out. Thank god my child's mother is me.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I thing you are supposed to wait a year on eggs. I would at least wait as long as eggs as you plan to on meat. Which I didn't introduce chicken and turkey until the 9-10 month window and no beef or pork until after the year point.
    Any particular reason you want egg to be her 1st food? Vs fruit or veggies?
    From Weston A Price who is to baby nutrition what Dr Sears is to baby behavior and development
    http://www.westonaprice.org/children...feeding-babies
    A wise supplement for all babies—whether breast fed or bottle fed—is an egg yolk per day, beginning at four months. Egg yolk supplies cholesterol needed for mental development as well as important sulphur-containing amino acids. Egg yolks from pasture-fed hens or hens raised on flax meal, fish meal or insects are also rich in the omega-3 long-chain fatty acids found in mother's milk but which may be lacking in cow's milk. These fatty acids are essential for the development of the brain. Parents who institute the practice of feeding egg yolk to baby will be rewarded with children who speak and take directions at an early age. The white, which contains difficult-to-digest proteins, should not be given before the age of one year. Small amounts of grated, raw organic liver may be added occasionally to the egg yolk after six months. This imitates the practice of African mothers who chew liver before giving it to their infants as their first food. Liver is rich in iron, the one mineral that tends to be low in mother's milk possibly because iron competes with zinc for absorption.

funny about the egg,lol. It is a cultural thing I believe, like so much else in baby care and baby foods. BTW if you look up baby first food egg on the internet you will even find receipeis for boiled egg for babies (one includes liver yikes), not that tis means I believe this makes it right or wrong - I just think it is so much of those completly contrary issues on baby led solids or first foods are cultural issues and not so much right or worng.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    From Weston A Price who is to baby nutrition what Dr Sears is to baby behavior and development
    http://www.westonaprice.org/children...feeding-babies
    A wise supplement for all babies—whether breast fed or bottle fed—is an egg yolk per day, beginning at four months. Egg yolk supplies cholesterol needed for mental development as well as important sulphur-containing amino acids. Egg yolks from pasture-fed hens or hens raised on flax meal, fish meal or insects are also rich in the omega-3 long-chain fatty acids found in mother's milk but which may be lacking in cow's milk. These fatty acids are essential for the development of the brain. Parents who institute the practice of feeding egg yolk to baby will be rewarded with children who speak and take directions at an early age. The white, which contains difficult-to-digest proteins, should not be given before the age of one year. Small amounts of grated, raw organic liver may be added occasionally to the egg yolk after six months. This imitates the practice of African mothers who chew liver before giving it to their infants as their first food. Liver is rich in iron, the one mineral that tends to be low in mother's milk possibly because iron competes with zinc for absorption.
    Interesting! Although probably not needed as you are breastfeeding. But it makes sense why we are told no egg before the year point. It's easier to say to new mothers NO Egg than to say NO EGG WHITE.

Way too lazy for formula

Interesting! Although probably not needed as you are breastfeeding. But it makes sense why we are told no egg before the year point. It's easier to say to new mothers NO Egg than to say NO EGG WHITE.
    I just tried it, one cooked yolk, no white. Although she's very grabby, esp hand to object to mouth, she wasn't remotely interested. Guess that's why they call it Baby Led Solids. The dog was happy to have some extra protein and lutein and DD is happy to be on the boob.

At a time when DJ was putting EVERYTHING in his mouth, he would rub his hands together and put banana and avacado EVERYWHERE BUT his mouth. We'd put things away and try again in a week. The 1st thing he actually put in his mouth and then put BACK in his mouth was watermelon. About a month after we started trying.

Way too lazy for formula

I was sort of anti dairy when DJ was a baby. It seems like there were healthier ways to get calcium (like how cows get it. Through greens) I never did really get into feeding him yogurt until after the 3 year point...because I could never rectify how much sugar was in it. 17 grams in one small thing of yo baby. YUCK. I did feed him string cheese.
    I agree on the yogurt thing, but I do give her plain greek yogurt, or natural fresh yogurt from our organic market. I would never give her the commercial flavored stuff...it really grosses me out! DH eats the strawberry yogurt a lot and I think it smells so strange.

Can I ask how/what kinds of greens you gave your lo? We do a lot of streamed veggies like broccoli etc but I haven't really given her any spinach, kale or leafy greens yet because I'm not sure how to make it in a way she can eat it.
    I'm Elizabeth, first time mom to Sofia Kerala, born Jan. 6, 2012 at home.

We are happily , , , and .

I'm an international teacher-librarian , currently working in Brazil.

At the beginning we also did broccoli. And Kale chips. So olive oil and heat it on a pan in the oven. So they were crunchy and grabable. But messy. And cucumber spears. And fresh spinach leaves.

Way too lazy for formula

steamed broccoli was and is still a favourite. If yo leave the stalk on so he can grab it it is really easy for them to munch. Also what he liked when he was about 1 year was chewing on whole iceberg lettuce leaves. Cucucumbers always worked,cut in grabbalble sticks (not too thin, more like a half or third), later he actually when he had more teeth preferred just a half cucumber peeled (if there are not too many seeds, depends which kind). He did not like sellery stems but perhaps this was personal preference. Peas he ate a lot, easy to pick up (once they learn how) and munch (or throw at mom).

I fed my son yoghurt from early on, but only the plain kind, no sugar or fruit added, organic or homemade (is actually not too hard to do). Or sourcream (again the organic kind, with no additives). His dad also eats the commerical sugary kind a LOT ;-) so i strted mix the plain yghurt with pureed fruit. He used to eat this and liked it but once, with about 3, he cottoned on to that his came in a differnt tub from daddies yoghurt he demanded the commercially made ;-(

OH I forgot about celery! My kid always loved celery! Still does. I am not sure celery is a great "green" source persay but he did like that early on.

Way too lazy for formula