Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Expressing too much?

Default Expressing too much?

Since my daughter refused the breast totally after trying the sippy cup, skin-to-skin, offering the breast very often, I had no luck so far to get her on the breast, so I've been expressing my milk and giving it to her. I been doing the M.S.S and it had been working quite well.

I now produce nearly 30oz of milk a day and I started having reserved and put that formula away (in case of emergencies) since she only drink breastmilk.

Now she doesn't drink all of the milk and there's a lot to waste.

Last night I expressed at 10am and feed her with the milk I gave her and went back to bed, too exhausted to go downstairs and breastpump again. I've woke up by my cat walking on my right boob and I was in agony. I touch on the skin and it was rock hard and I went downstair to express after 10 hours of no expressing. it was lumpy and I took out 11oz of my breast in one go. It gave me a fright and I would like to start expressing a bit less.

I'm afraid that when she start weaning, I'm going to end up with a lot of milk she won't need. And since she's not on the breast, I needs tips on how to reduce my milk supplies without forming mastitis. I'm quite scared now after this happened.

mind you that when I express at night, i had about 4..sometime 5 oz only.

And a question out of this topic.

Is it possible for a baby over a year old to go back on the breast?

Mine is 4 months +1 week.''
    Thank you!

Default Re: Expressing too much?

Yes, a baby that old could go back to the breast. You'd probably need in-person help from a La Leche League Leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC).

Just like weaning a baby, you could "wean" the pump gradually. Most people find success when they cut out one pumping session a day. I would suggest you watch the supply to make sure you don't over-"wean"!

Good job watching out for this. Over-full breasts can sometimes result in plugged ducts and breast infections.

If you're concerned about wasting the milk, you could look into donating milk https://www.hmbana.org/

Default Re: Expressing too much?

I been trying to get her to the breast again but she always turn away or do a pet lip and start crying, even if i put the breast back in my bra, she start crying a bit and i have t cuddle her until she stop. I never forced her or anything but would be nice to have her back on the breast since I'm going on a plane soon and i don't want to breast pump but to breastfeed if possible. Can i do that in 5 weeks without trying to scare her much?

I just express at 11pm and it's 5am and I just express 4oz and my breast is still full I'm getting worried a bit now. but i'll massage and see what happen. Hopefully no plugged duduct.. eep.

I could surely donate milk!