Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush on both nipples and 7 wk old constantly spitting up

Default Thrush on both nipples and 7 wk old constantly spitting up

I have had thrush now on both nipples for about a month. I have been putting APO (All purpose nipple cream) 3 times a day, as suggested by my lactation consultant and also applying Lotrimin to my nipples after every feeding. Also I am no longer using disposable nursing pads but have been using Bamboobies only when I nurse and remove them right after. Also I have been just wearing nursing tanks so that I do not need to wear a bra which would add another layer of clothing. Or is it better when home to wear something more loose?

Luckily my LO does not have thrush in her mouth although she does have a little bit of a diaper rash which my lactation consultant believes is from the thrush. My concern is my LO is constantly spitting up after every feed, large and small amts. Is that normal with thrush? How can I help my LO from spitting up so often and much? I burp her after each breast and keep her up for at least 10 mins. Help, I'm doing the laundry every other day and my LO always smells like spit up/vomit!!

Default Re: Thrush on both nipples and 7 wk old constantly spitting

I'm not sure you can blame the spit-up on the thrush, unfortunately. As long as your baby isn't uncomfortable while spitting up and is gaining well, it's not considered a medical problem. From what I've read, it usually peaks at 4 months amd goes away by a year.

As for the thrush, are you doing anything to treat your LO? You need to, even if she doesn't have white patches, otherwise you just keep reinfecting each other. I would recommend at least giving your LO a probiotic, and taking one yourself. My DD had a diaper rash for a whole month, and it went away once I started taking a probiotic. Have you read Dr. Newman's protocol http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...cles&Itemid=17 and Dr. Jay Gordon's http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html ? I strongly suggest using GSE, orally, on your nipples, and in your LO's mouth.

Good luck, thrush sucks!

My second LO spit up constantly before and after I had thrush. I am so sorry to hear that you got thrush and hope it clears up soon.

with carm3. Baby needs treatment even with no symptoms at all and especially with the diaper rash.

I think as long as your clothes are clean and all cotton it shouldn't matter what you wear. If you are more comfortable in a bra go ahead and wear one. A loose tshirt over bare nipples that are already sore sounds like torture in my mind.

Are you pumping at all? If so are you boiling your pumping supplies regularly?

It sounds like you are doing everything right as far as the spit up goes. Laundry every other day is probably just your new normal. Sorry .