Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Avent Twin Electric Pump / Tired of Pumping

Default Avent Twin Electric Pump / Tired of Pumping

Hi Moms!

I have been pumping with an Ameda Purely Yours pretty much since my son was born (building a stash and returning to work at 5weeks pp). My son is now 9.5 months old and yesterday while pumping, my motor went out. It should be covered under warranty, but I've been having a major problem pumping to meet my son's needs lately, and didn't want to risk being without a good pump for up to a week - so I went to Target and bought an Avent Twin Electric Pump.

Does anyone use this pump successfully? First, it makes a huge mess. I returned to work from my first pumping session and had to clean up milk spilling and I don't know where it's coming from. Milk got everywhere when I was removing the cups from my breast.

I am just BURNED OUT on pumping. What do you guys do when you just HATE it so much? It really doesn't help that I pump in a storage room without heat and it is 5 degrees outside (obviously warmer in the room, but still very cold). I literally am counting down the weeks until I can start weaning off the pump and I don't feel good about it. My freezer stash is down to about 20oz, I have been burning though about 10oz a week because I am just not able to produce enough to meet my boy's needs. He eats solids like a champ, but he is very little for his age, and I want to make sure he has the best nutrition possible.

Any tips are appreciated. I cried yesterday at work because I have just been feeling defeated. When did you wean from the pump? What is an acceptable age? I think my boy is still too litt.e
    Last edited by @llli*kevins-mom; January 15th, 2013 at 10:39 AM.

Default Re: Avent Twin Electric Pump / Tired of Pumping

Most moms pump wean at around a year old. That's a good time because that's when they start being able to replace some nutrition from milk with nutrition from solids. Until a year they should be getting the majority of their nutrition from breast milk or formula. It's also a time when your supply is well-established enough that you can go all day without emptying your breasts and it won't hurt your production. The milk will be there when you need it.

So you are right, your little man is still too young to give up pumping and you need help keeping on keeping on. How much milk is he taking at day care? Does he get solids at all while he is there? How much can you pump at each session? Is there any possible way you can pump somewhere more comfortable? I can't imagine trying to pump when you're so cold. That can't be helping your output at all.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

There is a lunch room, but the door doesn't lock (the door doesn't lock in the storage room, either, but I put my chair up against the door - in the lunch room there is no outlet close enough to the door to do that).

I work at a truck accessories shop with all men. It's not exactly the most sanitary place, either.

My little loves solids and eats 1 meal plus snacks at daycare. We are doing BLW, so he eats real food and not purees. I send 9-10oz of milk to daycare (8.5hr day). Many times he will leave about 2oz from his afternoon bottle - lots of times I re-send that the next day - otherwise my freezer would be completely empty. I'm drinking mother's milk tea and pumping 4-5 times a day to produce what I think is enough for him. I get usually get 2-3oz per session...about half the time I can squeeze in a pumping session at night after my son goes to bed (but lots of times he is still waking 3 times/night and I don't find time to pump).

Just pumped my 3rd session at work with my new pump. So far I only have 3.5oz. It is very discouraging!

I use that advent pump and I agree it is messy. You have to lean forward or the milk will work its way into the cushion that is probably where you are getting the laking. You can use it without the cushion. I am going to look into getting a larger shield too I think that will help. Sorry to hear you are so frustrated. I can imagine I have been pumping for a week and am getting the annoyance.

May try pumping longer and fewer times?

While pumping longer and fewer times would be ideal, at this point pumping longer does not yield more milk.

I am having major problems still. Ameda is sending out a new pump, so now I'll be able to set up a pumping station at home and one at work, it'll make pumping more convenient, which is good. I'm taking fenugreek again, so far no results, except I smell like syrup.

Hopefully soon I see better results!

Ameda makes a car power adapter. Could you use that to pump in your car with heat? I use a coat or blanket to cover up when I need to do that. Also, to build supply and stash you could try pumping one side while nursing the other in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lehall View Post
    Ameda makes a car power adapter. Could you use that to pump in your car with heat? I use a coat or blanket to cover up when I need to do that. Also, to build supply and stash you could try pumping one side while nursing the other in the morning.
    I moved my pumping spot to the lunch room, which is heated. I placed a lock on the door so now it is ideal! I wish I had done it sooner!!! I'm still mostly only getting 6oz when I pump during the day, but with an added pumping session at night, I'm able to fill my boys bottles.