Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fussing when nursing

Default fussing when nursing

Lately my 5 week old has been fussing when nursing. He seems to have a lot more wind and he really struggles passing his poo's. I was thinking that it might be because he is now drinking a lot faster and therefore gets a wee bit sick and needs to get more wind up. The poo situation is really starting to concern me. He always seems to be in pain and is groaning even in his sleep. However, his poo's have always been the same i.e. soft and he farts them out. Is this normal??

Default Re: fussing when nursing

Since the poops are soft and the baby doesn't have to strain in order to get them out, this sounds pretty normal for 5 weeks. New babies are often upset by pooping/tooting- after all, until a few weeks ago your baby never had to use that end of his digestive system! The only thing that is maybe a little odd is the groaning. Is it going on all night?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Not all night. I suppose it happens when he is due a feed, but he groans and is still asleep. I usually just wake him and then feed him cause I don't like hearing him groan and worry he is in pain.

I think your wake-and-feed reaction is the right one. Maybe he's just hungry! Or, if it is a poop issue, putting milk in at the top of the digestive system stimulates something called the gastrocolic reflex, resulting in the baby being able to move the poop out at the bottom of the digestive system.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks your information is reassuring